Daily Bread 2010 - 2 Corinthians 11

Daily Bread 2010 2 Corinthians 11

What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. 22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. 23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?


As Paul answers the accusations of the false apostles, who are challenging his authenticity as an apostle, he recounts some of his Jewish heritage and then points to some of suffering he has endured as an apostle. Paul could have tried to defend himself by pointing out all of his strengths in a prideful way, but instead points to his sufferings as an indication that he is a true apostle.

His point is if he was a false apostle, why would he have endured all of this unless he was in it for the right reasons? Often the ultimate test of a leader is how they do during a period of adversity. It is easy to lead when everything is going well, but not so easy when there is conflict and struggle. But through this process Paul was able to see that in his weaknesses, he would be upheld by the strength of Christ. So that when he is challenged to be prideful, he can point instead to his perseverance during these incredibly challenging times in his life as an evidence of his deep abiding faith in the Lord.

Where are you being challenged in your life? Do your values and beliefs sometimes cause your trials and tribulations? When you are called to “prove yourself” do you try and defend yourself, or let your actions speak for themselves? It is in our suffering that we prove ourselves to be disciples of Christ, picking up and following Him where He calls us despite the consequences to us.

Dear Jesus help us in our trials to be faithful to you realizing that our faithfulness helps us to be mature and complete and lacking in nothing. May we be less concerned about our reputation than our formation to become more like Your Son. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?