Daily Bread 2010 - Philippians 1

Daily Bread 2010 – Philippians 1

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. 20I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.


Paul writes this letter to the Philippians from prison, yet its tone is one of joy and thanksgiving. You wonder can have so much joy being in such a bad situation. Well as we read in the verses we can see why he was able to have this kind of attitude. His attitude is summarized in verse 21, “For me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

I don’t there is a better verse that sums up the life of the apostle Paul. He was so sold out to his calling in Christ, that either way he was fine. If he were to go on living he could continue to labor for Christ and bear fruit that would last for eternity. If he were to die He would then be in Jesus’ presence. Because of his close relationship with Jesus he desired to be with him in person in heaven, but he also knew that Jesus had work for him to do on the earth, including encouraging the saints at Philippi.

I don’t think there is a more encouraging letter than the one to the Philippians. There are so many verses in this book that we would do well to memorize including verse 21 and also verse 6, “He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.” Though Paul was struggling mightily in prison and some were even preaching the gospel to stir up trouble for Paul, he takes great comfort in knowing his brothers and sisters in Philippi are being strengthened and encouraged by his trial and actually gaining confidence in their own faith through his.

Jesus thank you for our brother, the apostle Paul, who is such an incredible example to us and encouragement to us as we face our own trials and tribulations. May we be able to say with him, “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?