Daily Bread 2011 - John 18

Monday, May 2nd: John 18
4 Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?” 5 “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied.“I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6 When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.7 Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they said.8 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”

What Does This Mean
?
In this chapter, we see the sharp contrast between Jesus who is fully in control, and Peter who is out of control. Despite all the things that were about to happen to Jesus, he is cool, calm and gives logical straightforward answers to the questions from his accusers. Without resisting arrest, he is compliant but also very confident. When he declares who He is they draw back and fall back to the ground, as if they are hit by the reality of who He really is.

Peter meanwhile is determined to defend Jesus but on his terms, not Jesus’ terms. While it seems as if Peter is ready to fight for Jesus, we learn later in the chapter that when the chips are down Peter is afraid to say he knows Him. The sharp contrast in how Peter is handling things and how Jesus is handling the matters at hand, give us some clues as to what it means to be walking in the Spirit.

What Does This Mean For Us?
Oftentimes we are ready to fight for the Lord, but is this more about our agenda our God’s? Peter seemed to be pretty zealous in his defense of Jesus, but in the end it was motivated by his own will, not God’s. One of the ways we might be able to detect whether we are acting in a similar way as Peter did in today’s story, is if we have to start justifying what we are doing.

Peter tried to justify cutting off the high priest’s ear because the end justified the means. Whenever we have to cut corners to get God’s will done, we are in dangerous territory. I.e. I had to cheat on my tax return so I could give more to God’s work. Or she just needed my listening ear and her husband doesn’t listen to her that is why I needed to be out with her. Later in the chapter, we see what is really going on in Peter’s heart, a lot of fear. Whenever we are acting out of fear there is a good chance we are outside of the Lord’s will. The only one we need to fear is God himself

Jesus showed us cool confidence during these last days, because He had met with His Father and knew God’s will was for him to submit himself to this process which led to His crucifixion. Because He was acting on God’s agenda not His own, He could walk in confidence despite the consequences. Where is God calling you to step out in faith? As you sense God’s call you can walk in the Spirit, not in fear.

God help me to seek you in the morning and learn to walk in Your ways. And step by step You’ll lead me and I will follow you all of my days. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?