Monday, January 30th

Happy 52nd Anniversary Mom and Dad!!! You are a great example to me of God's covenant love and faithfulness!

www.moravian.org/daily_texts/

Monday, January 30

Readings for Today
:
Psalm 18:16-24
www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm18&version=NIV
Genesis: 29:15-30:24
www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis29&version=NIV
Matthew 11:1-10
www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew11&version=NIV

Psalm 18:16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
he drew me out of deep waters.
17 He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong for me.
18 They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
but the LORD was my support.
19 He brought me out into a spacious place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me.
20 The LORD has dealt with me according to my righteousness;
according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.
21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD;
I am not guilty of turning from my God.
22 All his laws are before me;
I have not turned away from his decrees.
23 I have been blameless before him
and have kept myself from sin.
24 The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness,
according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.


David recounts how God reached down from on high and took hold of him and drew him from the deep. He realizes that it is only from the all-powerful One that he can be delivered from those enemies that are more powerful than him. As the LORD confronted these powers and dealt with them, David was brought into a spacious place where he felt the LORD’s delight.

While David is speaking of a literal enemy, we can all relate to his struggle, if only in a figurative way. We all face enemies every day, even from within. God wants to deliver us from all of our enemies, such as addiction, pride, sloth, and perfectionism. As we acknowledge that we cannot slay these enemies in our own will power and might, God comes to rescue us and bring us to a spacious place, where we feel His delight!

Genesis 29:15-30:24

New International Version (NIV)
15 Laban said to him, “Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be.”16 Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17 Leah had weak (or delicate) eyes, but Rachel had a lovely figure and was beautiful. 18 Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.”19 Laban said, “It’s better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me.” 20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.21 Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to make love to her.”22 So Laban brought together all the people of the place and gave a feast. 23 But when evening came, he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and Jacob made love to her. 24 And Laban gave his servant Zilpah to his daughter as her attendant. 25 When morning came, there was Leah! So Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? I served you for Rachel, didn’t I? Why have you deceived me?” 26 Laban replied, “It is not our custom here to give the younger daughter in marriage before the older one. 27 Finish this daughter’s bridal week; then we will give you the younger one also, in return for another seven years of work.”


For a great explanation of this story of Jacob and his obtaining Leah and Rachel as his two wives read from this link:

http://bible.org/seriespage/i-led-two-wives-genesis-291-30


There is a great sense of irony in this story, as the deceiver Jacob who receives the blessing and birthright from his father through devious means, is deceived by his Uncle Laban. It was standard in those days for a man to bring a small amount of money (dowry) to purchase a man’s daughter. Since Jacob left home and his father sent him on his way, Jacob had to work for seven years to receive Laban’s daughter, because he didn’t have the money to just buy her out as was the custom in those days.

As the article suggests, Jacob still was prideful in how he went out meeting Rachel and preferred Rachel over Leah primarily for attraction purposes. We often picture Leah as homely, and yet the Hebrew word for “weak” also has the translation “delicate”. Importantly as we trace the birth line of Jesus, He comes through the line of Leah and through her son, Judah and not through Rachel. Though Rachel’s first son who came after a long time of waiting and much consternation on her part, is Joseph, who will also play a big part in the salvation story, it is through Leah whom the covenant promise continues.

Although some may feel sorry for Jacob for having to wait 14 years, others might say it is a consequence of his deception. Yet throughout the story, we see God’s grace is upon him and his offspring, despite all his bad choices.

Matthew 11:7 As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 8 If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. 9 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is the one about whom it is written:

“‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way before you.’

11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.


Verse 11 tells us that the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John the Baptist! Does Jesus mean to diminish the role of the messenger John the Baptist, who was sent ahead to prepare the way for him per the Old Testament prophecy in Malachi? I think not, but Jesus was preparing His people for the new way the kingdom was coming into existence through his Him and in the power of the Holy Spirit. His preparation of the disciples was to be messengers of the kingdom in a greater way than John because of the role and scope of their work.

While John announced the coming of Jesus and the kingdom with the words, “Repent the kingdom of God is at hand”, the disciples would soon be the living out the kingdom flowing through them in the power of the Holy Spirit. God continues to empower us in the working out of the kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven on earth, as we not only pray the Lord’s prayer but operate in its power! Today in our daily prayer, we pray for God’s kingdom to come by way of healing those who are sick. I certainly see my share of sickness as a pastor, and I am sure you do too! But remember the power we have to pray for those who are sick in Jesus name. While we don’t control of the outcome of who is healed and who isn’t, we have the opportunity to pray in the power and authority of Jesus’ name.

God of wellness, we know fear when disease strikes us hard. We seek cures from doctors and pray for healing. Most of all, we lay our lives in your hands. Make us whole in spirit and touch our bodies. Amen
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?