Show Us Your Glory!

Psalm 40:1-8 - a really cool psalm see U2’s version of it on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtpplE39_g

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
and put their trust in him.
4 Blessed is the one
who trusts in the LORD,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
5 Many, LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done,
the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.
6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—
but my ears you have opened—
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
7 Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.
8 I desire to do your will, my God;
your law is within my heart.”

Exodus 32:30-33:23
Moses and the Glory of the LORD

12 Moses said to the LORD, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” 14 The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” 17 And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” 18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

Matthew 26:47-58
Jesus Arrested

47 While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” 49 Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him. 50 Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.” Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51 With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” 55 In that hour Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. 56 But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

Reflections: Today we see the tension of waiting on the Lord, and knowing that He is with us before we act. Often times we move out ahead of the Lord, and we see the results of not waiting on Him. Moses assured God that he would not move forward with the Israelites until he knew God was with them. God affirmed His covenant relationship with Moses saying, “I know you by name and that His presence would go with him.” Moses makes the statement how else will be distinguished from all the other peoples on the earth unless you go with us?

Moses then makes the bold request for God to show him His glory. God agrees to pass by but warns Moses not to see His face, because if he did so Moses would die. This gives new meaning when we proclaim that when we go to heaven, we will see him face to face because of what Jesus did on the cross.

Then in our gospel, after praying in the garden, we see the confidence Jesus portrays as his betrayer comes and betrays him into the hands of the people the chief priests had sent to accost Jesus. Obviously they think there might be a battle, because they bring clubs and swords. Jesus calmly replies, “Am I leading a rebellion? Put your swords back into place, if I wanted to call down 12 legions of angels (about 70,000 in total!) I could!”

When Jesus turns himself in without violence, all the rest of the other disciples flee. Despite their friendship with Jesus and spending 3 years with him, self-preservation takes place over loyalty to him.

Again we see the humanness of the disciples and Moses, and David in the psalm, as he recounts how God had taken him out of the mud and put him on the rock. Where do you need to wait patiently on the Lord today? When are you tempted to desert Jesus, when your identity is on the line?

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6


Lord Jesus, you are not our interpretation of your way, but YOU are simply the way. Knowing this, we commit ourselves to you anew this day confident in knowing that it is you who opens the gate. We seek your guidance in being open about the interpretations others use regarding the details of that way. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?