Not By Our Own Effort...

Psalm 118:1-9
1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
2 Let Israel say:
“His love endures forever.”
3 Let the house of Aaron say:
“His love endures forever.”
4 Let those who fear the Lord say:
“His love endures forever.”
5 When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord;
he brought me into a spacious place.
6 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can mere mortals do to me?
7 The Lord is with me; he is my helper.
I look in triumph on my enemies.
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in humans.
9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in princes.

Reflection: Many believe this to be written by David in the event where he had weathered many difficult trials, and taken up as the king of Israel, the anointed. We can see it is a psalm of thanks with the continual refrain, “His love endures forever.” In it he shows that in every situation the Lord was his helper and at his right hand, and therefore he did not have to give into fear. It reminds me of the apostle Paul when he says in the classic Romans 8 passage, “If God is for us who can be against us.”

It reminds us too today that if our trust is in the Lord and His plan that we are on solid ground and don’t have to worry about anything other people might do. Though the affection and praise of those around us might wane, God’s love is steadfast and endures forever. Quite a promise to hold on to as we seek to be faithful to what God has called us to do.

2 Samuel 1 New International Version (NIV)
David Hears of Saul’s Death


1 After the death of Saul, David returned from striking down the Amalekites and stayed in Ziklag two days. 2 On the third day a man arrived from Saul’s camp with his clothes torn and dust on his head. When he came to David, he fell to the ground to pay him honor.

3 “Where have you come from?” David asked him.

He answered, “I have escaped from the Israelite camp.”

4 “What happened?” David asked. “Tell me.”

“The men fled from the battle,” he replied. “Many of them fell and died. And Saul and his son Jonathan are dead.”

5 Then David said to the young man who brought him the report, “How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?”

6 “I happened to be on Mount Gilboa,” the young man said, “and there was Saul, leaning on his spear, with the chariots and their drivers in hot pursuit. 7 When he turned around and saw me, he called out to me, and I said, ‘What can I do?’

8 “He asked me, ‘Who are you?’

“‘An Amalekite,’ I answered.

9 “Then he said to me, ‘Stand here by me and kill me! I’m in the throes of death, but I’m still alive.’

10 “So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive. And I took the crown that was on his head and the band on his arm and have brought them here to my lord.”

11 Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the nation of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.

13 David said to the young man who brought him the report, “Where are you from?”

“I am the son of a foreigner, an Amalekite,” he answered.

14 David asked him, “Why weren’t you afraid to lift your hand to destroy the Lord’s anointed?”

15 Then David called one of his men and said, “Go, strike him down!” So he struck him down, and he died. 16 For David had said to him, “Your blood be on your own head. Your own mouth testified against you when you said, ‘I killed the Lord’s anointed.’”

Reflection: Here we have the report given to David by the Amalekite that Saul and Jonathan, his close friend are dead. The Amalekite assumes (wrongly) that David would be happy to hear this news and it might result in his promotion, but he is badly mistaken and the opposite happens. Not only does David have respect for God’s anointed in Saul, but he is deeply grieved by his close friend and confidant’s death. The Amalekite also wrongly assumed by taking the crown and his band that it might bring him reward. He did not realize the holiness of the crown and the respect David had for it as it represented God’s anointed servant.

We see how careful one must be in handling things of God and how things of God must not be handled as the things of this world. Another example of this is in Holy Communion when we forget to have reverence and holy fear when we receive the body and blood of the King of Kings, Jesus. Let us not make the mistake of the Amalekite when handling things that are set aside for God’s use and purpose.

John 6:43-51
43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

Reflection: Jesus is not surprised by the mumbling and grumbling of the Pharisees, because He realizes that it is only the Father that can lead someone to realize who He is as the unique Son of God. In fact he definitively says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

In our Lutheran Church, Luther says similar words when explaining the role of the Holy Spirit in faith formation. He says in the Small Catechism, “I cannot by my own understanding or effort believe in Jesus Christ or come to Him , but the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts and sanctified and kept me in true faith.”

This is why Evangelism is not a program, and we don’t manipulate people to come to faith. But as we preach the Gospel and pray for those who hear it to be open to the Good News by the Holy Spirit, we will see God drawing all people to himself. Jesus knew this and if this was so for the Son of God, how much more for us as his messengers.

You shall not pervert the justice due to your poor in their lawsuits. Exodus 23:6

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just… think about these things. Philippians 4:8


What is just, true and honorable in your eyes, O God? Are we doing all we can to see and serve the least of these in our midst? Transform us to love and serve you and others this day, compassionate One, with our full hearts and minds. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?