I Am The Resurrection and the Life - Jesus

Watchword for All Saints Day — Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb! Revelation 7:10

Reflections on Today’s Texts: The theme we see today is one of faith. David’s recounts the countless times God had delivered him from trials, and how trustworthy God is. Though his life took many twists and turns, God’s way was perfect. With God’s help he could overcome any obstacle in our path. As David said, He will give us the strength to scale a wall, or the feet of a deer to run through persecution. It doesn’t mean it wasn’t hard, and David didn’t struggle as we see him saying, “My eyes fail, my body grows weary looking for your salvation”.

As we move to our Gospel text we the story of the ultimate sign Jesus would bring to show He was the Messiah, raising Lazarus his friend from the dead. Martha greets him saying, “If you had been here, he would not have died.” We know from Martha’s personality that she is often anxious, and though we can’t see the tone of her voice here, it would seem this message is in keeping with that personality. Tomorrow we will see Mary saying the same thing, but we get the sense she says these same words with a different tone of voice.

Either way Jesus is going to show both Mary and Martha the purpose of all the signs, miracles and healing Jesus has done when he says the famous words in John 11:25, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live even though they die. And whoever lives by believing in me will never die.” Then he says something really important, “Do you believe this?” You see something can be true, but necessarily true for you.

Jesus wanted to make sure Mary and Martha understood the purpose for all the signs/miracles He had done that they might know that He is the resurrection and the life and if they trusted in Him they would never die! Do you believe this? This is the ultimate question that Jesus asks of all of us today as well.

Psalm 119:121-128 Ayin

121 I have done what is righteous and just;
do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 Ensure your servant’s well-being;
do not let the arrogant oppress me.
123 My eyes fail, looking for your salvation,
looking for your righteous promise.
124 Deal with your servant according to your love
and teach me your decrees.
125 I am your servant; give me discernment
that I may understand your statutes.
126 It is time for you to act, Lord;
your law is being broken.
127 Because I love your commands
more than gold, more than pure gold,
128 and because I consider all your precepts right,
I hate every wrong path.

2 Samuel 22:26-23:17


26 “To the faithful you show yourself faithful,
to the blameless you show yourself blameless,
27 to the pure you show yourself pure,
but to the devious you show yourself shrewd.
28 You save the humble,
but your eyes are on the haughty to bring them low.
29 You, Lord, are my lamp;
the Lord turns my darkness into light.
30 With your help I can advance against a troop[g];
with my God I can scale a wall.
31 “As for God, his way is perfect:
The Lord’s word is flawless;
he shields all who take refuge in him.
32 For who is God besides the Lord?
And who is the Rock except our God?
33 It is God who arms me with strength[h]
and keeps my way secure.
34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
he causes me to stand on the heights.
35 He trains my hands for battle;
my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
36 You make your saving help my shield;
your help has made[i] me great.
37 You provide a broad path for my feet,
so that my ankles do not give way.
47 “The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!
48 He is the God who avenges me,
who puts the nations under me,
49 who sets me free from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes;
from a violent man you rescued me.
50 Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
I will sing the praises of your name.
51 “He gives his king great victories;
he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed,
to David and his descendants forever.”

John 11:17-30
Jesus Comforts the Sisters of Lazarus


17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, 19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home. 21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” 27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” 28 After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. “The Teacher is here,” she said, “and is asking for you.” 29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30 Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him.

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. Proverbs 10:12

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 1 Corinthians 13:1

Lord, help us to love first always, as you first loved us. All other work we do for you comes from the love you give us. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?