My Grace is Sufficient For You!




Reflection:  We all know how powerful experience can be in shaping our walk with Christ.  Everyone meets Jesus in different ways.  Some have mystical, heavenly experiences like Paul, others were baptized as a baby, grew up in Christian homes, and always have known they were a child of God.  But we all know Paul had a powerful conversion, and he reflects on it in today’s passage.  He reflects that because of this surpassing revelation and in order to keep him from becoming conceited (which is quite easy to fall into if you have had a powerful experience of God’s grace), God had given him a thorn in the flesh which kept him reliant on God’s all sufficient grace.  The passage reads:

“Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

You see the danger in a powerful experience of God is that there is a temptation to put the focus back on self.  I did this, I experienced this, I must be special.  And of course you are, we all are!  But yet the experience you have been given is so you can reflect in a greater way Christ’s power.  And Paul makes the case that even in our weaknesses there can be great opportunity for God’s power to be manifest.  Why?  Because it becomes very clear that our strength could not come from human manufacturing, but must be from God!  Therefore, if Paul were to boast, he would boast in his weaknesses, and he would even give thanks for this thorn that caused him to keep relying on God. 

Notice Paul prayed for this thorn to be taken out of his life three times.  Oftentimes when we pray for something and don’t get what we want, we think either God isn’t listening, or maybe perhaps worse He really doesn’t care.  But Paul gives us a valuable re-frame of his experience, by discovering that God allowed these things in his life, and in fact gave them to him, so he could continue to rely on God’s grace alone. 

What is the thorn in your life?  As I have said many times before, I am glad Paul did not specifically mention his thorn, so that all of us could insert our particular trial that never seems to go away.  The Christian life begins and ends by God’s grace, and through our faith that God’s grace is sufficient for us in Christ.  Where in your life do you need claim this truth?  Maybe instead of mourning what you are going through you, could take the perspective Paul has given us to be thankful for our thorn for it makes us reliant on God, and also points people to where our true power comes from! 

Psalm 74:18-23
18 Remember how the enemy has mocked you, Lord,
    how foolish people have reviled your name.
19 Do not hand over the life of your dove to wild beasts;
    do not forget the lives of your afflicted people forever.
20 Have regard for your covenant,
    because haunts of violence fill the dark places of the land.
21 Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace;
    may the poor and needy praise your name.
22 Rise up, O God, and defend your cause;
    remember how fools mock you all day long.
23 Do not ignore the clamor of your adversaries,
    the uproar of your enemies, which rises continually.

Ecclesiastes 6:1-7:14
6 I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on mankind: God gives some people wealth, possessions and honor, so that they lack nothing their hearts desire, but God does not grant them the ability to enjoy them, and strangers enjoy them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil. A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. It comes without meaning, it departs in darkness, and in darkness its name is shrouded. Though it never saw the sun or knew anything, it has more rest than does that man— even if he lives a thousand years twice over but fails to enjoy his prosperity. Do not all go to the same place?
Everyone’s toil is for their mouth,
    yet their appetite is never satisfied.
What advantage have the wise over fools?
What do the poor gain
    by knowing how to conduct themselves before others?
Better what the eye sees
    than the roving of the appetite.
This too is meaningless,
    a chasing after the wind.
10 Whatever exists has already been named,
    and what humanity is has been known;
no one can contend
    with someone who is stronger.
11 The more the words,
    the less the meaning,
    and how does that profit anyone?
12 For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Wisdom
7 A good name is better than fine perfume,
    and the day of death better than the day of birth.
It is better to go to a house of mourning
    than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone;
    the living should take this to heart.
Frustration is better than laughter,
    because a sad face is good for the heart.
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
    but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.
It is better to heed the rebuke of a wise person
    than to listen to the song of fools.
Like the crackling of thorns under the pot,
    so is the laughter of fools.
    This too is meaningless.
Extortion turns a wise person into a fool,
    and a bribe corrupts the heart.
The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
    and patience is better than pride.
Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
    for anger resides in the lap of fools.
10 Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions.
11 Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing
    and benefits those who see the sun.
12 Wisdom is a shelter
    as money is a shelter,
but the advantage of knowledge is this:
    Wisdom preserves those who have it.
13 Consider what God has done:
Who can straighten
    what he has made crooked?
14 When times are good, be happy;
    but when times are bad, consider this:
God has made the one
    as well as the other.
Therefore, no one can discover
    anything about their future.

2 Corinthians 12:1-13
Paul’s Vision and His Thorn

12 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul’s Concern for the Corinthians

11 I have made a fool of myself, but you drove me to it. I ought to have been commended by you, for I am not in the least inferior to the “super-apostles,” even though I am nothing. 12 I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles. 13 How were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was never a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!

O Lord, you are our God; let no mortal prevail against you. 2 Chronicles 14:11

You did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15 (NKJV)

Abba, Father, your nurturing love surrounds us as we face an often unwelcoming world. We wrap ourselves in your grace and mercy, your boundless love. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?