The Refuge of the Rock

Readings for the Day
1 Samuel 23; Psalm 31,54; Matthew 7

Verses for the Day
Psalm 31
2 Turn your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.
3 Since you are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
4 Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
for you are my refuge.
5 Into your hands I commit my spirit;
deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.

King David is credited with writing 75, or approximately 1/2 of the Psalms in the bible. The context of today's psalm is he is trying to escape King Saul, who is vigorously hunting him down. Saul is extremely jealous of David because many of his people have gone over to David, praising him more than the King. And on top of that his son, Jonathan, is David's soulmate and friend unto death.

1 Samuel 23 says this, David stayed in the wilderness strongholds and in the hills of the Desert of Ziph. Day after day Saul searched for him, but God did not give David into his hands.

One might suppose that David wrote some of these psalms while hiding in the crags and caves of the wilderness in the deserts of Ziph and Maon. While he is hiding out fearing for his life, he calls out to God who is his refuge and strength. He uses the metaphor of a "rock" to describe his relationship with God. I am drawn to the word "refuge". Refuge is defined as, "shelter, protection, safety, security, asylum, sanctuary; hiding place." Though David is a proven warrior, David's security is completely in God his shelter and in the shadow of his wings.

When we see the words, "Into your hands I commit my spirit", this is a phrase Jesus uses on the cross before he gives up his life to the Father. David thinks his life is in the balance, and amidst of how lonely he is in hiding, he knows God is faithful.

While you may not have a King Saul chasing you, maybe you may feel backed into a corner, and you don't know where to turn. While David was alone and being hunted down, he knew he was not truly alone. God had delivered and rescued him before, and he knew he could commit himself into His arms and be protected. I am sure this gave him great peace. He knew that although he was hidden in a rock, that God knew exactly where he was and as the True Rock!

May you find comfort in The Lord your rock and refuge. As you call on His name, He is near to you and come to your rescue. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?