How Does Our Prayer Reflect What We Think of God?

Psalm 86

A prayer of David.

Hear me, Lord, and answer me,
    for I am poor and needy.
Guard my life, for I am faithful to you;
    save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; have mercy on me, Lord,
    for I call to you all day long.
Bring joy to your servant, Lord,
    for I put my trust in you.

As in many of the psalms of David, we see his intimate prayer life and how he relies on God for everything in his life.  David starts his petition by showing humility by saying that he is "poor" and "needy".  He acknowledges that without God's help he has nothing.  Importantly David expresses this prayer as evidence of his trust in the LORD.  At the end of the day, prayer shows we are trusting in God.  Prayer is saying, "God I need you to help me in my time of need.  I will rely on you to take care of me and no one else."  

David asks God to meet his need in prayer, not only for his own good, but also that he might glorify God through it.  He says, 

"I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever."

Not only does David trust in God, but he wants others to know God can be trusted. His God is far superior to the pagan gods others trust in. Finally, David ends the psalm by appealing to God's unchanging nature and character which he sums up like this, 

"But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
    slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

David throughout his life has seen these qualities in the God he serves.  He has relied on them in the past to deliver him, and has no reason to doubt that God will not exhibit these qualities going forward.  David knows that even when he makes a mistakes, and he made some big ones, that God is "slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."  Bottom line: God keeps His promises to His people. 

Where do you need to cry out to God in prayer?  Where do you feel like you are being attacked by your foes?  Where is God calling you to be faithful in this area of your life?  How can knowing how God has been merciful and faithful to you in the past, give you peace that He will honor you now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?