Acts 20 - How To Finish the Most Important Race!

Click Here to Read All of Acts 20


"And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me.24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

Paul's life is worth emulating for many reasons.  Paul lived a Christ-like life and although he wasn't perfect he had an enormous impact for the kingdom.  This passage gives several of his life principles which made him so effective for his Lord.

1. He was aware of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit warns Paul of his upcoming hardship.  In another passage the Holy Spirit called Paul to sail over to Greece rather than going where he had planned. Paul is the perfect definition of being "Spirit-led".  All Christians have the Holy Spirit but it doesn't mean they are led by the Holy Spirit.

2. Paul had died to himself.  Paul realized all of his human attributes and accolades did not make an eternal impact.  He was willing to give up things in the flesh that other men relied on.  I believe this is what Jesus meant when he said, "Up any man would take up his cross and follow me." And, "Whoever wants to save their life must lose it." 

3. Paul focused on his goal.  Paul was singled minded in purpose and goal.  This was what kept him going when he felt like quitting. Like a marathon runner focuses on the 26.2 mile finish line, Paul focused on his goal, which was to preach the gospel to all who would listen.

While God isn't calling you to be the Apostle Paul, I do believe he calls us to emulate these principles Paul lived by.  And to this we will need to be led and empowered by the Holy Spirit.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!