Paul's Two Simple Goals!



Philippians 1:21-26 "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."

Today we begin Paul's letter to the Philippians.  Paul received a very specific call from the Lord through the "Macedonian" man to come across the ocean to Greece.  The church at Philippi started through a woman named Lydia, who was a purple cloth dealer that met with a prayer group down by the river. Lydia invited her into her home and she and her house were baptized. The church started and grew rapidly and became a church that Paul was very fond of.  

We see Paul's affection for them in chapter 1 when he says,"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now."

We also know Paul was likely in prison when he wrote to them. Paul shares with them the secret of being content in all situations.  He concludes, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."  He is content because his desire is to be with Christ so he is not afraid to die.  But he also sees the fruit being borne through his ministry as evidenced by the growth of the Philippian church.  

At the end of the day Paul's concern for his favorite church is greater than his desire to be with Christ.  Remember Paul has many other churches he is overseeing.  Paul shows us what a person looks like that has really simplified his life.  If he lives he serves Christ and helps build the church.  If he dies he gets to be with His Lord.  

I wonder if we could say these words?  Let's look at Paul's life. One, Paul has developed such a personal relationship with God through Christ. He can't wait to realize the goal of His faith to be with Christ.  Secondly, Paul has so given himself to the work of Christ, that his ultimate joy on earth is the see the fruit of the seeds he and others have sowed for the gospel.  He is a great example for us to follow and strive to have his single minded focus.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?