The Kind of Love That Does Not Fail!

Image result for love never fails
1 Corinthians 13
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
This is one of the best definitions of love that is out there.  It shows that love is more than an emotion, it is a behavior.  You can see this definition of love is quite a daunting challenge for most of us.  I am so often impatient, self seeking and easily angered.  I get frustrated with people including those that I love for not acting the way I think they should.  But I am easier on myself and don't hold myself to the same standards I hold for them.  
This definition of love shows me how far I fall short of the type of love Jesus modeled and lived out every day of his life.  One of the only times he got angry was when the people were making a mockery out of the temple. Even then he was angry for His Father's sake, not his own.  Another part of this description of love is keeping no records of wrongs.  This is also very hard to do.  We want payback, or at least to receive some favor in return for being treated badly.  
Finally, we see a promise.  Love never fails.  Romantic love and even brotherly love can fail, but God's love never fails.  I believe the only way I can come close to exhibiting the kind of love described in this passage is to be fully aware of and experience God's love in Christ.  It is only as I receive God's love in Christ that I can love others unconditionally and sacrificially.  When I receive God's love, it flows into the lives of others.  In some ways it can't help but do this when I am totally full of God's love. 
Take a moment today to bask in God's love.  You literally are the apple in His eye. He delights in you. He loves you unconditionally exactly as you are warts and all. As you see yourself the way God sees you, you can see others as He sees them too. Then you can love them like He does.  And this type of love will never fail.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?