What's So Compelling About the Spirit! - Acts 20

Acts 20 "And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me.24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

Paul is near the end of what he calls, "his race".  Like Jesus, the longer he preaches the gospel, he knows his days are numbered.  Just as Jesus had set his face toward Jerusalem, now the Holy Spirit compels him to go there as well.  This word "compelled" is an important one.  What exactly does it mean?  How do I know if I am being "compelled" by the Spirit?   The word literally means to be "bound".  Interestingly it is a wordplay and points out that one day he would literally be "bound" in chains in Rome.  

I think a way we might say it is, "the Holy Spirit has so instigated me to go in this direction that I would have an extremely hard time not heeding His call." Although Paul had a choice to deny or "quench" the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit had so persuaded him throughout his ministry that now it was almost like an automatic decision.  The Holy Spirit had empowered him to such an amazing life, as Paul had learned to operate in concert with the Spirit.  

Paul finishes this section by saying that his only goal is to complete task Jesus had given him to testify to the grace of God he had received in Christ Jesus.  Paul had a single minded devotion to the call God given after he knocked him off of his horse on the road to Damascus. Instead of persecuting Christians, he was now called reach them.  Paul kept his eye on the finish line and now as he got closer it would only get harder to finish the race.  He could keep moving toward the goal only because he was compelled by the Holy Spirit.  

What is the Holy Spirit compelling you to do lately?  Although it is a little hard to discern what the Holy Spirit is calling you to do, it doesn't need to be complicated.  For instance the Holy Spirit could compel you to pray for someone.  Or, He might compel you to do something for someone in need.  He could lead and guide you to share the gospel with someone you have a relationship with who isn't a Christian.  The Holy Spirit could be calling you to give up something to experience more of His freedom in your life.  As we are compelled by the Spirit and submit to His voice, like Paul, we can complete the task God has given each one of us finish the race and go on to be with him forever.     



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?