What Are You Training For?

 

Paul’s Use of His Freedom

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Though Paul was free to do many things, his singular goal and passion was leading people to Christ.  Therefore, instead of using his freedom selfishly, he used it to win others for Christ.  He was flexible in his approach to different people who had different approaches to different matters.  For instance, to the Jews the Law was very important, so Paul went through purification rites in Acts 21. He went through them not because they were necessary for him personally, but to build a bridge to the Jewish people.  For those who didn't know the law, he lived as one who was free from the legalistic requirements of the Law.  Paul closes by saying, "I have become all things to all people so that I might win some."  Paul is not saying that he compromises his values or waters down the gospel to reach others, but he reaches out to people where they are at, and then leads them to Christ.  Someone coined the phrase, "Make a friend, be a friend, lead a friend to Christ!"  

The Need for Self-Discipline

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Paul use the metaphor of a race, which was a popular sport in Corinth.  Guzik says, 

"Sporting events were big in Paul’s day as well as in our own. This was especially meaningful to the Corinthians, because their city was the center for the Isthmian Games, second in prestige to the ancient Olympics."

Though God has freely given us His grace in Jesus, Paul still likens the Christian life to a race which he wants to win.  Since Paul knows his time here on earth was very short he makes every effort to win the race God called him to run.  For someone to win any race, they need to be in great shape.  They don't just show up on race day expecting to win.  They train day in and day out, and also discipline themselves in what they eat, what they drink, and how much rest they get!  If athletes give everything they have to win a trophy here on earth, how much more should we train to win a prize that will never fade away.  

What do you spend most of your time training for?  Does it have eternal value?  What spiritual disciplines do you practice to become the most effective servant for Christ you can be?  If you were to undergo stricter training to be more like Paul, what would that look like?  Who can you partner with in your training regimen?   As iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?