The Proof is in the Pudding!

Click Here to Listen or Read the One Year Bible Lessons

2 Corinthians 11:23-28

23 Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm. 28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches

What does the phrase, "The proof is in the pudding" mean? Accordian to Miriam Webster, 

"Generally, the expressions are used to say that the real worth, success, or effectiveness of something can only be determined by putting it to the test by trying or using it, appearances and promises aside—just as the best test of a pudding is to eat it."

The people in Corinth were challenging Paul to prove if he was a true minister of the gospel. Since he wasn't one of the original 12 disciples, he faced those who doubted his qualifications. Paul's resume was quite impressive in and of itself, but just read all the things that Paul endured for the sake of the gospel. Any one of these experiences might dissuade us from continuing to boldly proclaim our faith, but when you combine all of the hardships Paul lists here it more than proves his commitment to Jesus.  He is a true servant of Christ, who has given up everything to follow Jesus. 

It's hard to believe anyone could question his sincerity or qualifications. Even with all of these experiences, Paul made it clear that he was not boasting about himself in all of this. He was boasting in Jesus' strength, which sustained him through all of this. This led him to to his famous statement, "When I am weak I am strong. Therefore, I will boast all the more of my weaknesses so that Christ's power might be clearly revealed in me." 

David Guzik summarizes it quite well when he writes, 

It wasn’t the mere fact of a hard life that made Paul a true minister of Christ. Many people have hard lives but are in no way servants of Jesus. But for Paul, all these perils and hardships were freely chosen because he could have lived differently if he wanted to. But he didn’t want to. He wanted to serve Jesus, and if these hardships were part of serving Jesus, he would accept them.

How could the man who lived this life possibly be happy? Because he had died to himself! Because Paul could say, I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:20) Because of this, Paul could practice what he preached 

Could you say with Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ and the life I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me!"

What do you need to "die" to in your life so Christ's power might be revealed through your life? 

Remember when you feel weak, you are really strong. You are strong in the grace of God which is sufficient for you in Christ Jesus!  

If the proof is in the pudding, I would say Paul passes the test wouldn't you???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?