2 Corinthians 13 - Examine Yourselves to See If You Are in the Faith!

Click Here to Read or Listen to 2 Corinthians 13

Final Warnings

13 This will be my third visit to you. “Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.” 2 I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, 3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. 4 For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God’s power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God’s power we will live with him in our dealing with you.

Paul is writing this letter before his third visit to them. Corinth is probably the church he visited the most. Unfortunately part of the reason for his visit is to have to confront what is going on namely the people who were undercutting his name for untrue reasons. They wanted to him to give them proof he was apostle. 

Paul says they have another thing coming if they think he has been weak in dealing with them. Though in his weakness due to sin, he relied on Jesus' grace and strength, in the same way he will use Christ's strength as he confronted them. 

On his first visit to Corinth, Paul founded the church and stayed a year and six months (Acts 18:11). His second visit was a brief, painful visit in between the writing of 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians. Now he is prepared to come for a third time. - Guzik

. He seemed too weak and humble for their liking. So Paul addressed this thinking: “You want to see proof of Christ speaking in me? Fine. When I come the third time, you will see the power of God in my rebuke as I clean house. So clean it up before I come.” - Guzik

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. 8 For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. 9 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is that you may be fully restored. 10 This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not have to be harsh in my use of authority—the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.

Paul tells the Corinthians to examine themselves. 

 We are often very ready to examine and test others, but first – and always first – we must examine and test ourselves. “That was the trouble at Corinth. They criticized Paul and failed to examine themselves.” (Redpath)

This was not as much as an ethical test, as it was a test of the assurance of salvation through the Holy Spirit, who is a down payment guaranteeing our future inheritance. (Ephesians 1:14)

We are to see if Jesus Christ is in you. We are not to look for perfection – in ourselves or in others – but we should see real evidence of Jesus Christ in us.

Most importantly Paul wants the Corinthians and this situation to be restored. He does not want to have to use the discipline afforded to him as an authority, an authority given to him by God. Paul would rather use the authority to build them up in their faith rather than having to tear them down. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?