Philippians 3 - Running the Race to Win!
7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
Paul has quite a religious pedigree, but when he compares it to knowing Jesus, he considers it a "bunch of garbage". In Galatians 2 he says, "If righteousness could be gotten from the works of the law, then Christ died for nothing!"
Paul was dealing with those who were still stuck in thinking that the Old Testament ritual of circumcision applied adult, male Gentiles who came to faith in Christ. Paul calls them out and tells them they are completely missing the point. In another passage he says, "Circumcision counts for nothing, the only that counts is obeying God." 1 Corinthians 7:19
Paul is saying when you really know Christ and have experienced His love and power in your life, the thought of gaining his approval through the works of the law is worthless. And the way Paul came to know Christ is through faith. Faith in what Jesus did for him on the cross by dying for his sin and becoming his righteousness before the Father. We often talk about Jesus dying for our sin. but we don't talk about as much that he is now our righteousness.
Isaiah even said in the Old Testament, "Our righteousness is like filthy rags!"
"The original Hebrew term for "filthy rags" literally refers to a garment soiled with menstrual impurity, symbolizing severe ritual uncleanness and human helplessness." (Ray Noah)
I hope you are getting the point. Jesus did for you what you could never do for yourself. Put your faith in Him not yourself. You will be freed from trying to measure up to the law and set free to love and serve out of gratitude not obligation! In this way our works glorify Jesus! We give him all the glory! We have no need to take credit because we don't need to!
Are you still trying to be a good person? Have you given up on trying to earn God's love? How is that going for you?
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
In verses 12-14, we see the humanness of Paul. Though he is teaching all of these great concepts about the new life in Christ, he admits that he is still far from perfect. While his theology is "spot on", he still struggles with a sinful nature that wants to take credit for his own good works. I am sure when many claimed he was a false apostle it was a huge temptation to justify himself selfishly.
But rather than letting his sin drag him down, he let go of it and his past like. After all Jesus had died for that one the cross. It was finished. Only the devil wanted to keep hounding him about it. Instead he kept his eyes on the prize.
I love that Paul wants to "win". I'm very competitive and at times it can be prideful and fleshly, but there is a also a good thing about wanting to the be the best, especially if it is for God. Paul's wanting to win the prize was not prideful. His goal was shaped by the calling Jesus gave him on the road to Damascus.
We are all called did you know that? Every one us is called to use the gifts that God has given us to build the church and draw more people to Jesus. Paul had a lot of gifts including: evangelism, teaching, healing, pastoring, and others and his goal was to use them to the fullest!
In another passage he says he is being, "poured out like a drink offering!" 2 Timothy 4:6 and Philippians 2:7
I am humbled by Paul's selfless and sacrificial love for Christ and His people. It is good for us to model our lives after him. But at the end of the day, I won't be judged by Paul's calling, only my own. You don't have to be a missionary like Paul, or a pastor like me, to be called.
The word "calling" comes from the word "vocation". You all have a vocation even if you are retired. May we be like Paul and forget what lies behind and press forward to the calling He has for us!
Jesus, thank you for calling us to yourself and making us right before the Father by what you did for us on the cross. As we have been set free from the law of sin and death, may we use that freedom to serve you and follow you with all that we have. May we not receive Your grace in vain! Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment