Daily Bread Philippians 1

Daily Bread Philippians 1

Paul's Chains Advance the Gospel
12Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. 13As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.20I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

Observation:

So begins Paul’s letter to the Philippians, a thank you letter for their financial and spiritual support to him while is in prison under Roman guard. Apparently some so disliked Paul that they actually preached to get him into more trouble. But Paul realizes that it doesn’t really matter. It is not the messenger that authenticates the gospel but the message and it inherent power.

Paul also realizes that even though he is going through hardship, that God will use it for His glory. Already others are being given more boldness as they see Paul’s resolution to continue to fight for the gospel, even while in prison. His holding to his convictions under extreme hardship only made his followers more convinced of the truth of the gospel, so that it actually served the gospel and advanced it.

Most importantly because of Paul’s knowing who was in charge, he could even rejoice in his trials. He calmly and coolly says, “For me to live is Christ and to die was gain.” Though he preferred to be with Jesus, he realized that God was not finished with him yet. But he also knew that God had started the work and He would complete it. Paul did not have to change anyone, God was in charge of that. Paul only needed to be faithful to his calling even in spite of terrible circumstances. And for that we can be grateful!

Application:

If we are going to follow Jesus there are bound to be obstacles and adverse circumstances. But if we know that God is in charge, we can look for ways that our temporary suffering is paving a new opportunity for the gospel to flourish.

Are you able to rejoice in your weaknesses and trials? Do the negative things in your life serve as a platform for others to see that your strength is in the Lord? Of course this is not easy to do. Most of us want to handle it on our own and often need to go through a lot of pain to figure out that we can’t and only Jesus can.

Are you able to say for me to live is Christ and to die is gain? It sounds like a radical statement, and yet I believe Jesus wants every one of his disciples to be able to make such a claim. When we realize that we are a child of God, and an inheritor of all that God is and has as His Son or Daughter, we can offer this kind of statement. When we realize that God loves us even more than our own parents, we can surrender to His leadership in our lives, knowing He knows what is best for us and He will never leave or forsake us.

Prayer: Dear Jesus thank you for dying for us on a cross to show us the full extent of your love for us. Thank you for giving us living examples, like Paul who so fully surrendered his life for your sake and the sake of the gospel. Help us to be able to say like our brother Paul, “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain”, knowing that our lives we are always in your hands and you will take care of us in the end. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?