Philippians 4 Daily Bread

Daily Bread
Philippians 4
1Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!
Exhortations
2I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. 3Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow,[ help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Thanks for Their Gifts
10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Observation:


Paul, as is his custom, ends his letter with a big “therefore”! Meaning, “In light of all I have just said, this is how you should live.” Chapter 4 is filled with many verses we would do well to put to memory including:

Verses 4-6, which teach us to rejoice always, which means to literally to have joy within you as a result of your position in Christ. And when we feel stressed or anxious to pray and offer our requests to God. As we release our fears to God, a peace which is beyond comprehension will guard (literally the term for a military sentry guarding a position) our hearts and minds (feelings and thoughts).

Then Paul gives us a prescription for how to cooperate in keeping the peace. Paul gives us a formula for the types of things we should focus our minds on. As we think about such things that are true, noble, right, lovely admirable etc…, we will have a much great higher likelihood maintaining this peace.

Finally, in one of the most quoted verses of the bible Paul says that he has learned to be content in all circumstances. If you know what kind of dire straits he had been in it is quite a statement. Then he concludes with the famous v.13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Application:


We all face many challenges in our lives. As we commit to following Christ, it doesn’t mean the challenges will go away. In fact, they might even increase. Despite what some of the “health and wealth” preachers say, following Christ does not always mean prosperity. It certainly didn’t mean that for Paul, who was never particularly healthy or wealthy.

Yet in spite of some of these challenges, we have several promises to cling to. Not only can we rejoice in our struggles and maintain perfect peace in the midst of them, we can bank on having the power to overcome these trials through Christ who strengthens us from the inside out.

Prayer: God thank you for your many promises that are true in any and every situation. Help us to cling to and rely on those promises, as we face various kind of trials. We know that as you help us to do all things through Christ, we will have a new sense of your power and joy and peace, which passes human understanding. We will be evidence to the world that you are the Lord who has overcome all obstacles when you rose from the dead! Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?