Daily Bread 2011 - Romans 11

28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

What Does This Mean?
As Paul concludes his 3 chapter (9-11) teaching on how his fellow Jewish brothers and sisters fit into God’s salvation plan, he plants seeds of hope that a remnant of Israel will be saved. He reasons that although Israel, as a natural branch, has been cut off from the Vine, they can just as easily be grafted in by God who is Sovereign. Again he points out that it is all based on God’s mercy anyways.
Importantly he makes the statement in verse 29, that God’s gifts and call are “irrevocable”.

Meaning if God calls someone and gives them the gift of His mercy, we can’t change it even through our disobedience. He gives the example of the 7,000 Israelites who had not bowed to Baal (an idol that caused many in Israel to receive God’s judgment) as evidence that God always preserves a remnant of His chosen people. This idea is echoed in Philippian 1:6 where he says, “He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it!”

What Does This Mean For Us?
We all go through ups and downs, hills and valleys in our journey of faith. Things happen that disappoint us even though we have prayed about it, or at times we go through periods of disobedience where God is not at the center of our lives. Fortunately for us God’s call is greater than our disobedience. I am personally thankful for that as there was a time in my life where I strayed from God’s promises and provision.

In that time I learned that God’s hand was still with me even though my heart was far from him. When I came back into fellowship with God and the Church, I was reminded of God’s grace that saved a wretch like me. Though I would never recommend such a course, I am grateful to God’s faithfulness to me even when I was not faithful to Him. Great is His Faithfulness!

Thank you God for Your mercy and the irrevocable nature of Your call. We know Your faithfulness never wavers and Your mercy is new every morning, Great is Thy Faithfulness O Lord unto me. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?