Daily Bread 2011 - Romans 12

1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

What Does This Mean?
Chapter 12 marks a huge shift in the direction of Romans. The shift is illustrated with the use of his word, “therefore”. Meaning in lieu of all God has done for us, in view of His great mercy, we should… Importantly this isn’t return to works righteousness, but a response to God’s mercy and an act of worship. Paul gets very practical here by saying now that you have been called by God, here is how you can begin to live out that calling.

Whereas we used to offer our bodies and minds to the things of this world, we can now willingly offer them back to God as a living sacrifice. Since Jesus has accomplished for us a once and for all sacrifice on the cross for our sins, we mustn’t confuse this living sacrifice with that one.

As we offer our bodies and minds back for God’s purposes, we are in a position where God can transform us from the inside out. This transformation happens by God and through His Holy Spirit which leads us to be able to actually carry out His will for our lives. Importantly God’s will for us is good, pleasing and perfect. Meaning being able to carry out God’s will be a really good thing for us in every way we can imagine!

What Does This Mean For Us?

As I shared yesterday about a time in my life where I strayed from God’s call on my life, this was the verse given to me that would be a lifeline for me for years to come. Importantly, I began to realize that God’s will was a good thing and as I surrender my life (body and mind) to God, He began to work in me and change me.
Importantly I am grateful to have some other mature Christians who helped me to see the things in my life that we preventing me from experiencing the abundant life God had called me to. I hope you have others in your life that can help and encourage you to offer yourself as a living sacrifice and continue to be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Gracious God we again today thank you for your mercy and ask that as we offer our whole selves back to you that you would transform us into the people you desire so that the world will see your great power and love. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?