How Can You Know God?

As we get older we begin to realize who we are, and who are not. Sometimes we long to be like someone else only to realize that is really not who we are meant to be. Part of our maturation is really understanding who God made us to be, and then living and working in that "sweet spot". As Jesus begins to reveal his true identity as the Son of God, he does so carefully knowing this will lead to his rejection. And with his rejection will come his crucifixion.

Jesus starts by saying, "I am the light of the world". This is clearly a statement of His divinity, for the Jewish people assocatiated this only with their God, "Yahweh". And then he says, "whoever follows him will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life". An even clearer testimony of him being the Messiah. They were waiting for the Messiah, and yet were far from realizing that Jesus was Him.

So the Pharisees start questioning him on his testimony of these facts. They state it is not valid because because he is alone in this testimony. Then, Jesus let's them know in their own Law, two witnesses can validify the truth. (Deuteronomy 17,19). Jesus' other witness His Father in heaven. When questioned further Jesus says, "you do not know me or my father".

I find this very interesting. You mean the Pharisees, who were supposed to know God didn't? Could someone be a spiritual leader today and not know God? Are there those who claim to be Christians who don't know God? How do you know God anyways? Let's start with what Jesus says, "If you know me, you would know my Father also!" In John 14:6 Jesus says, "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me." So how do we know God the Father? Through God the Son. In fact, that was Jesus' mission on earth to show the Father's love to all people.

Sadly many people to reject Jesus' testimony about himself, which is later confirmed by His disciples after they believe. And many came to know Jesus when he was raised from the dead, thus proving He was the Son of God. So although there are many witnesses that would say they know Jesus through faith in Him, do you know Him? Do you sense God loves you and sent His Son to die for you, thus proving His love? Have you in faith accepted Him as Your Savior?
Part of knowing who you are I believe is knowing where you came from and where you are going. The Good News is God has provided every thing you need and made that known to you through His Son. And through His life, death and resurrection, we can REALLY know him and live with him forever.


Dispute Over Jesus’ Testimony
12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

13 The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”

14 Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”

19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”

“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?