How Can Grief Turn To Joy?

As Jesus prepares his disciples for his departure he says, "in a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me." It is easy for us to look back and know that he is referring to his death and subsequent resurrection. But the disciples were befuddled and talked among themselves trying to figure what he was saying. Jesus knew what they were talking about so he tries to explain the meaning to them using some analogies.

He uses the example of childbirth as an illustration of something very painful but leads to joy and new life. Pain turns into gladness. And grief into joy. Jesus will go through death on the cross on Friday, and will be raised to new life on Sunday. Their will be new life and much rejoicing.

So the question for you today might be where is there pain in your life? How can God use this suffering and turn it into joy despite the circumstances? James responds to us saying to not be surprised when we face many kinds of trials. But these trials help us to mature in faith and rely on God in new ways. Just like pain in childbirth brings new life, as we die to sin, we find new life. Through the death of self comes freedom to serve and love.

Jesus' resurrection power is not just something we remember on Easter, but it is available every day that we are willing to lay down our lives and rise to newness of life. Sometimes it is hard to let go of control and trust God when we cannot see what He is doing. But this is when the very power of God is with us, helping us to do what we could not do for ourselves.

The Disciples’ Grief Will Turn to Joy
16 Jesus went on to say, “In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.”

17 At this, some of his disciples said to one another, “What does he mean by saying, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?” 18 They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”

19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, “Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me’? 20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!