"Come Quickly to Help Me God"

Scriptures: Deuteronomy 16-18, Psalm 38, Galatians 1

Bible Verse: Psalm 38:17-22

17 For I am about to fall,
and my pain is ever with me.
18 I confess my iniquity;
I am troubled by my sin.
19 Many have become my enemies without cause[b];
those who hate me without reason are numerous.
20 Those who repay my good with evil
lodge accusations against me,
though I seek only to do what is good.
21 Lord, do not forsake me;
do not be far from me, my God.
22 Come quickly to help me,
my Lord and my Savior.


Observation:
David is grieving not only over his own sin, but also that his friends have deserted him, and his foes are slandering him. He is at a breaking point. All the comforts of this world have vanished. On top this, he is dealing with the guilt and shame of his own sin. He senses God is disciplining him. In verses 3-4 he says, "Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; there is no soundness in my bones because of my sin. My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear." It is in this state that he calls out to God. He asks God, His Savior, to come quickly. Not just come, but come quickly.

Application:
What I love about the psalms is that they are so honest and raw. They display real emotions, from anger to doubt to a contrite heart. But despite the burden of his sin, David does not stop crying out to God. David is not only feeling bad about his own sin, but also dealing with his enemies who hate and slander him. He is also experiencing both physical pain and emotional pain. Often times it is not until we are so desperate and out of options, that we call out to God. We hear in David's voice not only anguish, but also an expectancy that God will come to save him. He has experienced God's deliverance before, and almost expects Him to come quickly now. Though his friends and enemies are quick to forsake him, God is quick to come to Him when he calls.

A question we might ask is, "How bad does it have to get for me to turn to God?" Although we will not always see a complete reversal of the circumstances or consequences of our sin, we can be sure that that as we cry out to God He will come quickly. God is never too busy to hear and answer our need for Him. Why wait?

Prayer:
Gracious God, we thank you that you hear our cries. When we cry out to you, you come quickly to our side to deliver us from our enemies. Help us to be quick to come to you and not wait until the last minute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!