How Do You Know What is Your God?

Psalm 25 (Of David.)

In you, Lord my God,
    I put my trust.
I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    nor let my enemies triumph over me.
No one who hopes in you
    will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
    who are treacherous without cause.
Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.
Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
    for they are from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth
    and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
    for you, Lord, are good.

I often hear the words, "Who can you trust today?"  People are cynical of authority figures, the media, and basically anyone who purports to know the truth.  David starts off this Psalm with a very simple assertion.  He says, "In you Lord I put my trust".  This is the basis for everything else David writes in this and every Psalm.  This is most likely why the bible calls David, "A man after God's own heart".  There is nothing God desires more from us than our "trust".  

Why?  Because what or who you place your trust in shows what you ultimately believe in, or the object of your faith.  David has a reason for trusting in God. He says, "No one who puts their hope in you will ever be put to shame." David had experienced this personally, as God had always delivered him from his enemies.   

David even recognizes his own sinfulness, and realizes for the sake of God's goodness, love and mercy he will forgive him his sins.  Since God's very character is goodness, love and mercy, He forgives him out because of who He is.  This makes David want to worship God all the more and follow in His ways and paths.

In short, David trusts in God because he has never put him to shame. Even when he sinned, instead of shame he found mercy.  This is the same mercy God had remembered for all of his ancestors before him, and the mercy God would extend to David's descendants after him.

It reminds me of what Paul says in Romans 1:16, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe, first for the Jew, and then for the Gentile.

Who do you trust? What is the object of your faith?  This is your God.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?