A Friend in Need is a Friend in Deed!

Psalm 116

I love the Lord, for he heard my voice;
    he heard my cry for mercy.
Because he turned his ear to me,
    I will call on him as long as I live.
The cords of death entangled me,
    the anguish of the grave came over me;
    I was overcome by distress and sorrow.
Then I called on the name of the Lord:
    Lord, save me!
The Lord is gracious and righteous;
    our God is full of compassion.
The Lord protects the unwary;
    when I was brought low, he saved me.

You may have heard the saying, "a friend in need is a friend indeed". The psalmist today gives thanks to God because God heard his cry when he was in deep need.  Though no one wants to go through these kinds of trials, the result is that they usually draw us closer to God and grow our faith.  

James says it is the way, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Trials make us stronger because they not only drive us to God, but they also build our character and mature our faith.  Also they make us more appreciative of God's grace and mercy.  After all, God doesn't have to help us but He does so willingly.  God loves to show us His grace in our time of need.  

And as we receive God's grace and mercy in time of need, we are more apt to offer it to someone else.  This is the economy of God's grace.  We often say we are like "one beggar offering another beggar a piece of bread".  

Remember to call on the Lord when you are brought low.  You can rejoice when he hears your voice and answers you.  It will remind you of how good God is and how his steadfast love endures forever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?