Matthew 11 What Yoke Are You Under?

Click Here to Read All of Matthew 11
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”




The difference between Jesus and the Pharisees, was that the Pharisees tied heavy burdens on people's back which made them weary.  Whereas Jesus' took people who were weary and burdened and gave them rest. The Pharisees made it hard to get into heaven, whereas Jesus made it easy.  The Pharisees made it hard to follow God, Jesus made it easy.  

A yoke in Jesus' day was put on the oxen's back and then attached to the plow.  The yoked oxen pulled the plow through the fields to get them ready for seeding.  If the yoke was not well fitting to the oxen it made them irritable and uncomfortable.  And the last thing a farmer wanted was irritable oxen.  

Often we think following Jesus is a real burden.  We see his commands as restrictive and burdensome. Or at least sometimes the church makes them seem that way.  But I think this is the great lie. Jesus comes to those worn out by religiosity and legalism and says, "Let me show you a new way to pull the plow. Let me be the yoke, and I will do the heavy lifting!"

Is following Jesus a heavy "yoke" for you? Or is Jesus' yoke easy and well fitting in your life?  The Good News is that Jesus came to give you life and life abundantly.  By dying on the cross for you he took the burden of your sin and did the work of accomplishing for you your salvation unto eternal life!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?