Make Sure to Finish the Race!! - Hebrews 12:1-2

Image result for finish the race

Hebrews 12 New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Having run in marathons before, the use of the metatphor of "running the race" for the Christian life makes a lot of sense to me.  The author is writing to the early Jewish Christians, who were struggling with going back to the legalism of Judaism, as well being tempted to go back to their old way of life marked by sin.  On top of that, they were being persecuted by fellow Jews who thought they had left the faith.  So it makes sense when the author says, "And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  
When I trained for big races, there are a couple of key strategies I would use to get ready.  First, I figured out how long the race was.  The longer the race the longer I needed to plan my training.  I always liked to find a training partner who could keep me accountable to train, and also encourage me when I felt like quitting.  I had to get rid of things that hindered or slowed me down, usually a few pounds.  Finally, once I started the race I had to keep my focus on the finish line so I wouldn't quit.  And what a great feeling it was to finish the race!  Time to party!  
The New Testament uses the analogy of running a race a lot.  I think it is a great analogy for several reasons. 
1. The Christian life is like a race.  There is a beginning and an end.  The beginning is when we are given the gift of faith.  The end is either when we die or Jesus returns to take us to heaven, whatever comes first.  
2. There are times we feel like quitting.  The race seems long and it is often hard.  We feel dehydrated spiritually speaking, or emotionally exhausted.  We go through all kinds of trials which test our faith.  Most trials have at its core, "Can I really trust God? Why is he allowing this to happen to me?"
3. We need people in our lives to encourage us.  We need Christian friends to pray for us and talk to us when we get down or discouraged.  We need a church where we can worship and be fed with the Word of God and receive Christ's body and blood.  
4. We need to remember God's promises.  One of my favorite promises is when Paul to the Philippians in 1:6, "He who began a good work in your will be faithful to complete it."  
5. We keep our eyes fixed on Jesus the author and perfector of our faith. In a sense, Jesus is our true training partner.  He is always out in front of us telling us to keep on running. As we keep our eyes on him we can finish.   
My favorite marathon story was the Chicago Marathon, which I ran in the early 90's. I still have the medal to prove it, if you don't believe me. One of my best friends ran the last couple of miles with me telling me not to quit. He said, "You can make it your a champ!"  I could make it.  Then on the last leg, my cousin ran down the straightaway with me to the finish line and friends were there to cheer me on!  I am not sure I could have made it without them.  
As great as that felt to finish that marathon, I think it will pale in comparison to finishing the race of the Christian life.  The passage says the "great cloud of witnesses" surround us and cheer us on from heaven.  These are those who have gone on before us and finished the race.  I believe the best moment will come when we cross over the finish line from this world to the next. Jesus will be there to welcome us with the words, "Well done good and faithful servant.  You have finished the race now come into your eternal rest."  
Where are you at in the race?  Feel like quitting?  Feeling like you have such a load on your back you can't go any further?  Just starting?  Nearing the end of the race? Whereever you are at remember, "He who started a good work in you will be faithful to complete it."  I can't wait for the finish line and hope we all make it there together!  It will be WORTH IT!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?