How is My Life HIDDEN in Christ?

Image result for my life is hidden in christ

Living as Those Made Alive in Christ

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
I am very interested in this term our "life is now hidden with Christ".  In what sense does Paul use this phrase.  I did a lot of research on it and to be honest, I still don't have a very good understanding of it. But I will take a shot at it nonetheless.  
When we come to faith we become a new creation.  God sends his Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, to live in us.  Though the world cannot see the Holy Spirit in us per se, we have union with Christ and live in him.  Yet, we still live in the world and the world beckons us to live in it and keep living by its values.  But since we have been united with Christ, His life lives in us through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Paul says we have already been raised with Christ.  Meaning we already have been given eternal kind life, but it has not been fully revealed to the world yet.  
My life is hidden in Christ, but one day it will be revealed to the whole world that I am in him and he in me.  One day when Jesus returns, I will appear with him in great and promised glory.  But for now my life is hidden in Him.  So then how should I live today?  
If I am headed toward heaven, shouldn't I live as if I as if I was going there.  Shouldn't I set my mind on heavenly things, and be about things that have eternal value.  Should I not occupy my heart and mind on the things that are going on above. 
My faith in Christ has already established who I am and where I am going. It is only a matter of time before I go to heaven because of who I am in Him. Since he is at the right hand of the Father and I am in him, one day I will be with Him my hidden life will now be made fully known. So what is the importance of this for my daily life?
The Christian life is living in the reality of my new life in Christ.  Notice it is not something I do or manufacture.  I don't try to just be a better person.  I am a better person because Christ lives in me. But I can still go back to old behaviors that actually go against my new nature.  The Christian life is often seen as all the things we have to do to be a true Christian.  It is focused on what I look like on the outside versus who I am on the inside.  You remember the saying, "be yourself"?  Well if Christ lives in me, being myself means living my life as He would and does live his life through me.  
Okay I hope this helps you out a little to understand this phrase Paul uses.  It helped me just to write about it.  Let me know if you have any thoughts about this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?