Why Did Jesus Need to Be Baptized? - Matthew 3

Image result for jesus is baptized by john

The Baptism of Jesus

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
What makes this passage this so interesting is what happens before it.  John the Baptist comes forth from the desert preaching a message of, "repent for the kingdom of heaven is near".  And as the people came forward they confessed their sins and were baptized with water by him in the Jordan river.  So then why did Jesus come to be baptized John?  What sins did Jesus need to confess?  Certainly John recognized when he says, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"  
Then Jesus says, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Jesus obviously sees the importance of his first public appearance.  The public had not seen him since he was thirteen years old teaching the elders in the temple.  In Jesus' first act he humbles himself submitting to the baptism of John.  Jesus from the beginning set an example of humble obedience. Jesus submits himself to John's baptism to show that he is submitted to God's will not his own.  One commentataor puts it this way, 
The purpose was for Jesus to completely identify Himself with sinful man. This is exactly what He did in His birth, His upbringing, and His death. So here, as John allowed Him to be, Jesus stood in the place of sinful man. (Guzik)
After Jesus is baptized by John two important things happen.  First, the Holy Spirit descends upon him like a dove.  It reminds us that the Holy Spirit is swift, soft, gentle, peaceful and loving.  As the Holy Spirit descends upon Jesus God the Father says, "This is my son who I love and with whom I well pleased." We see the relational nature of God as expressed in the Trinity.  God the Spirit came upon God the Son, and God the Father was well pleased!  Jesus' first act of obedience gave His Father great pleasure. From this point on the Holy Spirit would empower Jesus in everything he says and does.
Jesus didn't come ordering people aroud and expecting people to bow down to serve him. He came humbling himself and to be washed by his cousin John the Baptist.  It was a crucial point in his ministry.  If it was if he was saying, "I am not going to be doing this my way, but my Father's way."  In doing this Jesus gave us an example to live by.  Humility is the opposite of pride.  It submits rather than controls.  Humility says, "Here I am God, I am your servant, how can I live my life under your contol.  I submit to Your Holy Spirit's power in my life."
Where do you need to humble yourself and take the role of a servant?  Where do you need to submit to the Father's will in your life?  Are you still in control of your life?  It pleases God when we let go and let Him run our lives.  Let go and allow God through the Holy Spirit to live Jesus' life in and through you.  Amen. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?