Jesus' Humanness - Mark 14


Gethsemane

32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”
35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba,[f] Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
37 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
39 Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. 40 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.
41 Returning the third time, he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
This is one of my favorite stories in the bible.  Why?  Because in it I see the humanness of Jesus.  I see a Jesus I can relate to.  An Jesus who is not afraid to honestly express his doubts and fears to his Father.  A Jesus knew where his road was leading him and yet persevered through that doubt and fear.  A Jesus who was well aware of what the cross would cost him. 
And all he wanted from his three best friends Peter, James and John was for them to be with him while he prayed.  After all he had done for them, one would think they could at least do that.  If anyone thinks Jesus was superhuman and did actually experience the emotional agony of preparing for what he was about to do, they haven't read this passage.  
Listen to Jesus.  "I am deeply distressed and troubled please stay by me. My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow and it feels like I am about to die.  Father if it is possible please take away this cup of suffering, yet not what I will but what you will. Doesn't sound like a robot to me.  It sounds like someone that has a costly choice ahead of them and needs God's help to make it.  For their part the disciples were dead asleep because they were tired.  
This passage gives me hope to know that no matter where I am in life, Jesus can empathize with me in what I am going through.  It gives me joy to know that what pushed Jesus to choose willingly to go the cross was his obedience to the Father and his love for me.  Finally, this passage gives me an example to follow.  Jesus teaches me that doing God's will isn't always easy.  I may not always feel like doing it.  I may be alone when I face the decision.  I may doubt God.  But ultimately though my flesh is weak, the Spirit is willing and able to help me to do what is way beyond my ability to do.  And it is the Spirit of this same Jesus who live in us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?