"What Does Amazing Faith Look Like? - Luke 7





We see all kinds of definitions of faith in our world. "You just gotta have faith" and "I'm keeping the faith" were the lyrics of two popular songs in the 80's.  Some people talk about "blind faith". What does that mean?  The bible talks about "faith like a mustard seed" and says the "righteous shall live by faith". What does those verses mean?  Today Jesus commends an unlikely person by saying, "I have not seen such great faith in all of Israel."  Today we are looking at what does Jesus define as great faith? 

The Faith of the Centurion 

When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” So Jesus went with them.He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.” 10 Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.

A centurion was a Roman soldier in charge of 100 men.  Though he seemed devout, kind and humble, generally speaking these men were not only Gentiles, but Romans who were an instrument of Israel's oppression. (Guzik) But yet Jesus was amazed at his great faith. So what was he amazed at?

1. The man had heard of Jesus and he took a risk by sending the Jewish elders to meet with him.  Since he was not Jewish and generally the Gentiles were not well liked, this was a pretty smart move.

2. Later when Jesus is on the way to his home he shows his humility by saying, "Lord I am not worthy to have you come to my house."  While the Jewish leaders looked down on Jesus, this Centurion looked up to Jesus.  

3. Then, we hear his great confession of faith, "Just say the word and my servant will be healed."  The man had power as a result of his position, but he recognized a much higher authority and power in Jesus.  

So we might say great faith in Jesus' eyes is risky.  Great faith causes us to step out and take risks.  Great faith is humble. Great faith doesn't assume Jesus will automatically honor our desires, but trusts in Jesus' ability to do whatever he wants. Finally, faith is about trust.  Trust in Jesus to do what he says he can do.  When we confess our faith in Jesus we are saying, "Jesus I trust you are the Son of God and I trust you for my salvation."  Great faith says, "Just say the word and I will be healed."  And Jesus gave us the word on the cross when he said, "It is finished!"

Where is God calling you to step out in faith? Maybe you need to give him your fears about the Corona virus? Maybe it is reaching out to Jesus for healing?  Maybe it is taking a bold step and trusting Jesus in something he is calling you to do?  Maybe it is trusting in Him by faith to be your Lord and Savior? This is a the biggest step of faith you will ever take and is a gift from God. 

Let's have great faith like the Centurion and give honor to God for it!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?