Timing is Everything! - John 7

You often hear the saying, "timing is everything". The idea is that just because something is a good idea doesn't mean you should act on it right away.  Timing is important in jokes, and also when you say certain things to certain people.  You could have the right words or counsel for someone but if the timing is off it can totally backfire on you.  Today's passage shows how well Jesus knew this truth.  For him as well as us timing was everything.  

Jesus Goes to the Festival of Tabernacles

After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him. But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” For even his own brothers did not believe in him.  Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. You go to the festival. I am not[b] going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.
Jesus did most of his miracles in Galilee, where he was from.  The Jews in Judea/Jerusalem looked down on those from Galilee and regarded them as country folk and less than.  Jesus knew that when he went to Jerusalem it would accelerate his journey to the cross.  While he knew this was the plan, He knew it was in God's time not His.  His brothers wanted him to promote himself so everyone would know who He was. But, Jesus resisted the temptation to be beholden to anyone, including his own brothers. 
Jesus always showed restraint before he did something important.  He is a great example for us.  I tend to be compulsive. When I have an idea, I want to execute it now, oftentimes for our my own glory.  Being patient and waiting on God's timing is not easy because we like to be in control and do things on our own terms.  But I have learned the hard way that when I wait for God's perfect timing things go SOOO much better!  
With the COVID shutdown, we are in a period of waiting. We are waiting for governor's announcement of the next stage.  We are waiting for when we can go back to our favorite restaurant.  We are waiting for when we can gather in worship again. Everybody wants to go back to normal ASAP, me included.  I pray for the leaders who are in charge of making this decision that they be given God's wisdom as to when and how to reopen our country.  It's easy to be an "armchair quarterback". I know we all have a lot of feelings revolving around this issue, but I would urge you to trust in God and His timing.  Use this time to come closer to God and others.  Let's follow Jesus' model and wait on God before we act too quickly.  
Psalm 27:13-14 says it perfectly,
"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?