Jesus Isn't a People Pleaser, Are You? John 5:41-47

John 5:41I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? 45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

Jesus is not afraid to mince words, as he deals with the religious leaders, who were hostile to him. He is basically saying, "I don't need praise from human beings especially from you. After all, you don't even love God!" Wow! Remember these ,are the religious leaders who were called to shepherd God's people, Israel. But Jesus calls them out. Notice it is not about intellectual arguments, or theology, but their hearts, which are far from God. 

I do not stand in need of you or your testimony. I act neither through self-interest nor vanity. Your salvation can add nothing to me, nor can your destruction injure me: I speak only through my love for your souls, that ye may be saved.” (Clarke)

The ironic thing is the leaders accept other earthly leaders, but they will not accept the Son of God. The primary reason for this was pride, as some their followers were leaving them to follow Jesus. 

Listen to what the famous preacher Charles Spurgeon said, 

When a man gets to feel that he ought to be honored, he is in extreme danger.”

Once more, the praise of men generally turns the receivers of it into great cowards.

Jesus turns the tables on them by telling them their judgment will not come not at his hands, but at the hands of their most esteemed spiritual leader, Moses. Moses writings, the first five books of the bible called the "Torah" and also the "Pentateuch", condemened them for two reasons.

1. Moses gave them the Law, as summarized by the 10 commandments, and they could never measure up to them or keep the letter or the spirit of the Law.  

2. In the Pentateuch, there are several prophesies pointing to the Messiah, Jesus. 

"Jesus said of the Scriptures that they testify of Me (John 5:39). The words and writings of Moses fulfill this, prophetically speaking of the Messiah in many places. I.e. The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear. (Deuteronomy 18:15)" (Guzik)

The tabernacle and the passover sacrifice of the unblemished also pointed to as John the Baptist said, "The lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." 

In short, since the leaders rejected what Moses had written, commanded, and prophesied which were all fulfilled in Jesus, they would never accept him and receive eternal life. 

How do you stay open open to Jesus' words, as recorded in the bible? What words do you have a hard time accepting or obeying? In what ways can your pride get in the way with what Jesus wants to do in your life? Are you more concerned about what people think about you, or speaking the truth? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?