Why Do You Read the Bible? John 5:31-39

Testimonies About Jesus

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true. 33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light. 36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Testimonies about Jesus and how he changed one's life are always very powerful and encouraging. You can't argue with someone's testimony about how Jesus has changed their life. You can't say that didn't happen to you, especially if their acceptance of Jesus brought about significant transformation in their life. 

John the Baptist came as a messenger of Jesus, a light which this gospel likens to a lamp. John's light burned brightly while he lived on this earth, but like any lamp it ran out of oil. In giving out its light, a lamp eventually consumes itself. John said, "I must decrease, so he might increase".  While John's light was snuffed out, the light of Christ will burn forever.  

The second major testimony came with the works that Jesus did. Jesus did miracles of all kinds, big and small.  Many of his miracles showed the compassion of God on those who were in need.  The religious leaders rejected the signs and miracles Jesus did, because they were looking for miracles that would bring military and political deliverance to the Jews (Guzik)

Finally, the Father who sent Jesus has also given testimony to His Son. Though everything Jesus did gave testimony to His Father, specifically here it is talking about the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah. When Jesus says, "scriptures", he is referring to the Old Testament, as the New Testament had not been written yet. 

Though the leaders were well versed in the Law and the prophets and studied and memorized it, they missed the bigger picture of God's revelation, specifically as it came through His Son. 

They read them with a wooden and superstitious reverence for the letter, and never penetrated into the great truths to which they pointed.” (Morris)

They read it not to search for God but to find arguments to support their own positions. They did not really love God; they loved their own ideas about him.” (Barclay)

Jesus concludes by saying, "The scriptures testify to me but you refuse to come to me!" 

What Jesus is saying here is of major importance in terms of the role of the bible and our study of it. First of all, the whole purpose of the bible is to lead us to Christ. From beginning to end it is a story of God's love story. He chose a people, Israel, with the express purpose of bringing in a Savior of the world through them. Someone can read the bible all day long, but if they miss the central purpose of the bible, which is to lead them to Christ, it will do them NO good.  

This passage also reminds us why we read the bible today. We read it to remember what God has done for us in Christ, and it is a faithful guide for us as followers of Jesus. As we study Jesus' life, and the writings of the apostles, the bible teaches us how to live a life worthy of our calling. 

When you read the bible, why do you read it? Do you read it, just to read it, or to lead you to Christ? Do you read it to inform the way you live every day as his disciple? The classic way to read the bible is to ask two questions? What is this passage saying? And ... What is it saying to me?  

God's Word is a lamp unto unto my feet and a light unto my path! Psalm 119:105



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?