How Can You Be "Un-Offendable"? John 8:12-20

John 8:12-20 Dispute Over Jesus’ Testimony

12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13 The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.” 14 Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.” 19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?” “You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

Jesus again uses the term "I am" to describe who He is when he says "I am the light of the word!". As you might know, the "I am" statements are you unique to the book of John. In the Greek language the word used are the same words which Moses gave for God's name in the Old Testament. I.e. "I am". 

"God had revealed Himself to Moses with a resounding “I AM” (Ex. 3:14). Jesus used the same words to describe Himself (4:26; 6:20; 13:19)." (thomasnelsonbibles.com)

Light was also an important metaphor for the Feast of the Tabernacles. In Jesus' day, light was valued more because his culture was not equipped with modern day electricity like we are. 

"Light was an important symbol in the Feast of Tabernacles. During the feast, many emblems and ceremonies remembered the pillar of fire that gave light to Israel during the Exodus. Now, Jesus took this important symbol and simply applied it to Himself: I am the light of the world." (Guzik)

The Pharisees once again took offense at Jesus' words. They cited the fact that Jesus was talking about himself, and his testimony about himself was not valid. The Pharisees tried to invalidate Jesus' testimony, because they were living in darkness. They were "in the dark" regarding Jesus' true Messianic identity. 

Jesus says that he does not to rely on others' testimonies, because his identity is rooted in where he came from. His identiry is rooted in the Father, the One who sent him. So often we are offended when someone challenges who we are, but if our identity is rooted in Him, we can be confident and not get defensive. 

Jesus then cites the Mosaic Law when cites that a valid testimony must confirmed by two witnesses. Cleverly, he cites the testimony of His Father in heaven and his own, as the two witnesses requited by the Law. 

Our Lord speaks here exactly in the character of an ambassador. Such a person does not bring a second with him to vouch his truth; his credentials from his king ascertain his character: he represents the king’s person. So our Lord represents the Father as bearing witness with him.” (Clarke)

The Pharisees are still not connecting the dots. They are thinking the father Jesus is talking about is his earthly father, or his lack of oe. It might have been a subtle insult calling into question Jesus' virgin birth. Jesus calls their bluff pointing out that if they knew him, they would have known His Father. 

"In referring to Jesus’ parentage, the Pharisees thought they had some damaging or scandalous information on Him. They must have thought, “Watch how He reacts when we reveal what we know about Him.” In response, Jesus made it clear that they did not know anything about Him or His Father." (Guzik)

Jesus rebuked the Pharisees once again, inciting their anger to a new level. But they still do not arrest him. It would be on God the Father's timing, when He would allow his Son to be arrested, sentenced and eventually crucified. God is sovereign, and though we may be pursued by our enemies as we represent Jesus to the world, He will defend our cause. Nothing will happen outside His Sovereign will. 

How does knowing where you come from secure your identity? How does being a Christian mean that your ultimate idenity is as a Son or Daughter of Christ? How does knowing that God will protect you help you and your reputation, motivate you to be more bold and fearless in your testimony of Jesus? Remember the verse in Luke 12:2, 

"The Holy Spirit will give you the words to say at the moment when you need them." (The Voice)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?