Philippians 1 - What Is Your Motto For Life?

Click Here to Read or Listen

Book of Philippians - Introduction

Paul's letter to the Church at Philippi is probably my favorite book of the bible, save John's gospel. The basic purpose of Paul's letter is to thank the Philippians for their gift that they gave to support the church in Jerusalem. There are many memorable verses in this book, which I will be highlighting as we go along. Paul gives us an insight into what motivates him to be "sold out" for the gospel.

1 Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all God’s holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons 2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Usually when I start my sermon out, I start with the greeting Paul uses for his letter to the Philippians, "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." This is a great greeting to give to anyone. Paul states that he is co-writing this letter with Timothy, who he mentored as his disciple. 

Paul calls he and Timothy servants of Christ Jesus. The word "servant" means someone who has given their rights to serve their master. It is also translated "slaves". The bottom line is we have given up our rights to serve our master Jesus Christ. Paul writes to the "overseers" and "deacons", the two main leadership positions in the early church. Deacons were those who served and took care of the practical areas of the church. I.e. Property, finances, buildings etc.. Overseer is also translated "bishop" or "elder". 

They were the spiritual leaders of the congregation and often taught the bible. They were also shepherds of God's flock. Full-time paid and ordained ministers did not come in the church until later. 

Thanksgiving and Prayer

3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Paul calls the Philippians partners in the gospel. The church of Christ is bigger than any one church. Wealthier churches should help fund churches that struggle to make ends meet. Churches who have extra can fund outreach and missionary organizations that spread and share the gospel in specific ways. 

First verse to memorize in Philippians is verse 6. "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.

This is a very encouraging verse because it reminds us that it is God who began His work in us, and He (Christ) will be faithful to complete it. God cares about your salvation even more than you. This is helpful for those who need encouragement or have strayed away from their faith. It is helpful for those who struggle to overcome the sinful nature. Don't give up on God, He will never give up on you.  

It reminds us that our power to live our new life in Christ comes from Jesus not us. Though we need to do our part to surrender our lives to Him and engage in the spiritual disciplines which empower us, we can trust in God to carry us to the finish line. Paul calls the finish line, "The Day of Christ Jesus!" This would be Jesus' return to set up a new heaven and a new earth.  

7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. 9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

Paul shares how close he feels toward the Philippians, because they have shared grace with him in words and deed. Paul longs for them with the affection of Jesus Christ. Paul was the great theologian of the early church, but he also had a shepherd's heart for God's people. He loved them deeply. 

Paul wants them to continue to walk with Christ until Jesus returns. He calls them to be "pure and blameless".  Though we are not pure and blameless in our sinful nature, when God looks at us, he sees us through the righteousness of Christ. But the fruit of that righteousness is righteous living. Because we have been given righteousness, we can lead lives that glorify God through Jesus. 

Paul’s Chains Advance the Gospel

12 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.

The persecution Paul experienced in prison showed the authenticity and sincerity of his faith. It is easy to have faith when all is going well in your life, but when our faith is tested it is a powerful witness to others, especially non-believers. Paul's witness in the midst of persecutions and trials gave the other believers encouragement and confidence in their own faith. 

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

There were preaching out of jealousy and pride. 

When Paul was with the Philippians, there were amazing examples of the sovereign power of God, culminating in a divine jail-break and their vindication before civil magistrates (Acts 16:11-40). We are not surprised that the Philippians wondered where the power of God was in Paul’s present imprisonment.

Paul knew that some preached because they wanted to “surpass” Paul in ministry and to promote their own name and place above Paul’s.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.[d] 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.

Another huge theme in this letter is Paul constant use of the words "joy", "rejoice", and "rejoicing". In the Old Testament Nehemiah the prophet said, "The joy of the Lord is my strength", which was certainly true of Paul as well. Paul rejoiced in his suffering because it glorified Jesus in him.

This mindset is summed up when he says, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain!" This is the motto of a disciple of Jesus. It is a challenge for all of us to say this sincerely. Paul's reasoning was simple. If he were to remain alive, it meant fruitful service for the Lord. If the Lord took him, he would be in paradise forever. Paul says, "I am torn between the two". But the bottom line is he is content with either possibility. 

Can you say this? Is your heart so set on God's plan for your life that you could say, "For me to live is Christ and for me to die is gain!"

Paul concludes that the Lord wants him to stay because there is so much work to be done. He thinks the Lord wants to produce more fruitful ministry in him and through the Philippians. 

Life Worthy of the Gospel

27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit,[e] striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.

In the final paragraph, we have yet another verse worth memorizing. 

"Whatever happens conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel."

Although none of us were WORTHY of the gospel, Jesus made us worthy by dying for us on a cross. Living a life worthy of the gospel starts first of all with what Jesus did for you. When one truly understands the magnitude of what Jesus has done for us on the cross, it should motivate us to a live a life like Paul's. If we truly understand the nature of God's steadfast love for us, no one would have to push us to volunteer, serve, or give to His church.

A question I try to ask myself are, "Did I use the gifts he has given me to advance his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven?" "Was I faithful in what He called me to do?" Notice it says, "Whatever happens". It is sometimes easy to be a Christian when life is good, but the true test of our faith is when life is not going so good. 

Are you living your life in a manner worthy of the gospel? I have found when I live a life worthy of the gospel it not only honors what Jesus did for me, but also is the best kind of life. The "ETERNAL KIND OF LIFE" STARTS NOW! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?