Philippians 4 - Joy Is Not Just a Feeling. It is a Choice!

Click Here to Read or Listen to Philippians 4

Closing Appeal for Steadfastness and Unity

4 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends! 2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Paul reaffirms his love for the Philippians and calls them his joy and crown. Paul clearly considers this church as one of the best churches in the 1st century. This is why it is so good for us to memorize some of the verses in this short but prolific letter. He also urges Euodia and Syntyche to be of the same mind. Apparently they had a disagreement. They were both women, which affirms the role women played in the early church. Lydia was the key person who help start the church when it meant in her home. 

Why is this an argument in favor of women in ministry? Because he says, "These women have tended at my side in the cause of the gospel." How could they do this if they didn't have some type of leadership role.  He also lumps them in with Clement and other workers. Clearly Paul did not distinguish men from women in this letter. This is an argument from scripture that is often overlooked though people against women in being in the leadership in the church will find a way to say that this verse did not mean that. 

Final Exhortations

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

You would do very well to memorize all of these verses above. They are guide to so many aspects of in our lives, especially the people we receive through prayer. 

1. Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I will say rejoice. Here is the joy theme again. "Rejoice" is in the command form. Paul is saying this is not optional. Joy is not just a feeling it is a choice. Choose Joy! 

2. Do not be anxious about anything. Wow that seems like a tall order! We all face all kinds of anxiety every day, but Paul is going to show us how we can keep peace and joy through prayer. 

3. With thanksgiving present your requests to God. When we pray with thanks, we are acknowledging that God has already given and provided so much for us. By giving thanks before we pray, it gives us the proper perspective to address God for what we really need. 

4. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding. Notice is not worldly peace, or some peace we generate within us, it is God's peace. It is the peace OF God. Only God can give us this peace. It transcends understanding because God's peace often defies earthly logic. Someone might say to you, "How can you be at peace with everything that is going on around you?" Answer: Because it is God's peace which comes despite our circumstances. 

5. Will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. The word for 'guard" is the same word for a military sentry guarding an important post. Literally God is guarding our heart and mind. Since we know the evil one is always waging spiritual warfare on us, God's peace is one of the weapons we fight with. The evil one wants us to be stressed out, worried, and full of anxiety. God's peace guards our hearts, the very center of who we are as expressed through our will. And, through our minds, which control our thought patterns. 

Now let's look at Paul's guidance for how we should think. What does a healthy mind focus on? How does this change our attitude when we focus on the things Paul lists below. 

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but this is another verse to memorize, especially if you struggle with negative thinking which leads to anxiety, fear, and even depression. Most of our emotions are triggered by our thoughts. If our emotions get out of control, by focusing on what is true and right, the truth will set us free. 

I used an acronym to memorize this. TNRPLA (True, Noble, Right, Pure, Love and Admirable). Can you imagine if we developed a mind that was guided by these qualities? 

Thanks for Their Gifts

10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 14 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15 Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. 17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. 18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Paul closes the letter with what has been his primary purpose to thank the Philippians for their generous gift. This gift also benefitted Paul. Though he had learned the secret of being content with the resources he had, for them to provide for him was another sign of God's grace. 

Then, we get Philippians 4:13, which next to John 3:16 is one of the most memorized verses in the bible. 

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". What a motto to live by. What a great way to end the study of our letter. I have seen influential athletes use this on towels, on their eye grease (to block the sun), and other places which show their faith in Christ. 

This is a great verse to live by! 

Where do you need Christ to do something in your own life that you can't do in your own strength. How can you be more like Paul by being content in any circumstance you find yourself in? Where do you need the transcendent peace of God in your life? 

Tomorrow we start Paul's letter to the Colossians! 



Comments

  1. A little at odds with women in Pastoral roles in church- Paul was pretty specific in Corinthians 14- verse 34. "For in all the congregations of the saints, women shall remain silent in church..." The JWs take this literally, hard to work around instructions for orderly worship....but I'll have to ask my wife :) Thankful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?