Daily Bread John 10

Daily Bread John 10

7Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

Observation:

Jesus shows us the traits of a “good shepherd”. A good shepherd is willing to lay down his life for the sheep. Good shepherds learn different whistles, so the sheep know who they are. The sheep would only move if they heard this distinct whistle of the shepherd they had come to know and trust.

A good shepherd comes to give the sheep life, and life abundantly. The false shepherd comes only to steal and destroy the sheep. They try to get all they can out of them for their own gain. They are not out for the sheep’s best interest.

A true shepherd is seen when a wolf attacks. The false shepherds run away, but a true shepherd will protect their sheep, and even lay down their life for them.

Application:

Jesus is using this metaphor to a group who would know very well the traits of a good shepherd. What is most amazing about this teaching is the fact that the good shepherd’s great interest is in the sheep he tends. He wants them to enjoy green pasture and be protected from the wolves.

John 10:10 is “life verse” for me. Early on in my life, I thought following Jesus might limit the amount of “fun” I could have. But this verse helped me to understand that Jesus wants the best life for me. Jesus didn’t come to take away my life, but give me the fullest life possible on earth.

Unfortunately we get tricked into false worldviews that con us into thinking things like pleasure, materialism, and self interest will lead to a full life. But the truth is these things only lead to emptiness, because their purpose is not meaningful or transcendent. They are focused on the here and now, and leave no legacy other than self fulfillment.

Jesus showed us true life when he laid down his life for us. As we discover this same path, we will see too that as we give our lives for Jesus and whatever he calls us to, we will find life and have it to its fullest expression in this life. And it will only get better in the age to come.

Prayer: God help me to understand you are a Good Shepherd and have my best interest in mind. Help me to surrender to you as my shepherd and follow your example by laying down my life like you did. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?