Daily Bread Luke 24

Daily Bread Luke 24

Jesus Appears to the Disciples
36While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."
37They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
40When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" 42They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

Observation:

In this last chapter of Luke, Jesus gives much evidence to the disciples that He is alive and well. First, the two angels appear to many of the women who were his followers, including Mary Magdalene. Peter runs back to investigate, but leaves still not knowing what to believe. Poor Peter has been through quite a lot in the last 24 hours and he is probably a little gun shy to make any assumptions.

Then two disciples, one named Clopas, who we have never heard about, meet Jesus on the Road to Emmaus, though they don’t know it is him. Jesus eavesdrops in on their conversation to see what the scuttlebutt is all about. Jesus takes them on a tour of the Scriptures and helps them to see how he indeed was a fulfillment of the prophecies. As Jesus breaks bread with them (great imagery of Holy Communion) they recognize him for who he really is. They too go back to the eleven and share their experience.

But it is not until Jesus comes among them saying what we say in Church every Sunday, “Peace Be With You”, that they begin to believe. Jesus seeing that they are still in a state of shock goes back to something they had done quite a bit together, eat! Finally, Jesus opens up the Scriptures with them too so that they understand truly who he is. Then he tells them to wait there until they are clothed with power on high.

Luke ends abruptly, but is part of a two part volume Luke-Acts. We will return to Acts after 21 chapters of John.

Application:

Despite all of the evidence, two sets of eyewitnesses, and the fact that Jesus had told them he would die and in three days rise again, the disciples still need to touch and see Jesus in person to believe He is raised from the dead. This along with his opening up their eyes to the truth of the Scriptures gave them almost every thing needed to be Jesus; apostles.

One thing they were missing, the power of the Holy Spirit. We will see that encounter in a few weeks. This shows us that, like the disciples, most people need lots evidence to believe that Jesus is the Christ. It is easy to think they are a little dense, but looking back on it I realize I needed several confirmations to come to faith in Jesus.

I was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran church through eighth grade. I had several important relationships with mature Christians who I looked up who shared the faith with me in high school. I began to read the Scriptures and understand what it meant. I was in bible studies and even led bible studies later in high school. I was Vice President of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes my Senior Year. In spite of all that evidence, I still strayed in college thinking that I knew better. Then after college it took another person who discipled me, and then a great church with many great teachers and programs that helped ground me to the point where my faith stuck and I began to mature into a believer who was equipped to teach and pass on the faith.

Fortunately God is patient and didn’t give up on us. He continues to show up and show us his hands and feet in many ways. Paul reminds the young Christians at Philippi that, “He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it!” Philippians 4:6

Prayer: Thank you Jesus for meeting us where we are at and revealing yourself to us. Thank you for your Word that opens up our minds to understand who you are. And thank you bring into our lives to those who testify to us that you are what you say you are! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?