Daily Bread 2010 - John 16

Daily Bread 2010 – John 16

The Work of the Holy Spirit
5"Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.


One of the reasons I love reading the bible over and over is that there are always little golden nuggets that you pick up each time. In this case as Jesus is describing why it is good for Him to leave the world so he can send the Holy Spirit to the disciples, he gives them three reasons.

1.) convict the world of sin – because people don’t naturally believe in Jesus
2.) convict the world of righteousness – the righteousness brought about by Christ’s sacrificial death
3.) convict the world of the judgment of the prince of the world (aka Satan)

Why is this so important? We all want to make a difference in the world and bring unbelievers to faith in Christ. But the only way this will happen is if the Holy Spirit draws people to Christ as a result of their conviction of sin and the assurance of being made right with God through faith.

We can’t create faith, the Holy Spirit does. We can’t convict people of their sin, the Holy Spirit does. We can’t judge the world, the Holy Spirit does. It is only as we act in the power of the Holy Spirit that we can carry out what Jesus started. We cannot do it in our own power.

And what a promise Jesus makes. All that is His that has been given by His Father (God) will be made known to us. How exciting is that?

God we thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit. As we seek to carry out your purpose (the Great Commission), we know it will not be by might or power, but by Your Spirit. Send your Spirit to our churches, our leaders, and our members so that we may reach the world for Your glory, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?