Daily Bread 2010 - John 17

Daily Bread 2010 – John 17

Jesus Prays for All Believers
20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."


You’ll get two devotionals today because I have been behind a day and wanted to get caught up! John 17 is another spectacular chapter. In it, Jesus prays for himself, then his disciples, and then the world. Note it is not selfish to pray for yourself, even first.

This is a great model for our prayers. As we pray for ourselves, those closest to us, and finally for the world; Jesus’ heart and life will flow through us. I find the more I pray for the world, the more I am aware of people in the world who need God’s love and help.

One of the most important parts of this prayer is Jesus’ cry for unity as he says, “That they may be one, as you and I are one.” Jesus wants so much that the love He has received from the Father to be with those whom He has shared it with. And, in fact, Jesus says our unity will be one of the signs that the world knows that God is with us.

When churches or denominations are always fighting, what kind of witness is that to the world? It says we are no different than the world and its systems of power and governance. But as we are one and united in purpose and action, it shows we are close to God’s heart (ie. like feeding the poor, or helping orphans). Often Christians are known for what they are against, rather than what they are for.

As we share the love God has shared with us through Christ, we are assured that God will continue to make himself known in and through us. There is not greater joy than this!

God as you have made yourself known to us through Your Son, may we enjoy the same fellowship and unity that you and Your Son and the Spirit enjoy. God unite us by the things that unite You in the Holy Trinity. We know that as we are about what you are about, you will draw more people to the Fellowship that begins here and will be complete in Heaven. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?