Daily Bread 2010 - Romans 7

Daily Bread 2010 – Romans 7

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.


Is this chapter Paul expounds upon what is known as the Law/Gospel distinction. The Law is summarized by the Ten Commandments. The Gospel is the Good News that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. As Paul teaches us on the role of the Law, he says that the Law reveals to us that we cannot do the good we want to do, but often end up doing the very opposite.

Paul himself shares his own struggle against sin, and how he wants to do good, but yet his nature is aroused and enticed to do evil. Though he wants to good he doesn’t, and so he concludes this is part of the very nature of his being. In describing this he uses the analogy of slavery. He reasons anybody who continues to have to do something they don’t want to do is a slave. Paul concludes, “What a wretched man I am!”

In the 12 Step movement they call this, “hitting bottom”. It is only when an alcoholic, or other addict, realizes that they cannot beat this on their own that they can get the help they need. In the same way, it is only when a sinner realizes that cannot become right with God their own efforts can they come and admit, “I need a Savior”.

When we understand who God is and who we are, we can confess as our Lutheran liturgy so beautifully recalls, “We confess we are in bondage to sin and cannot free ourselves. We have sinned against you in thought, word and deed; by what we have done and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with my whole heart or my neighbors as ourselves. For the sake of your Son, Jesus Christ have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us and lead us so that we may delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your holy name. Amen.”

If you haven’t had a time of confession it might be good to spend some time reflecting on these words. Or maybe you have never hit bottom, this would be a good place to start!

Either way may you hear the words of forgiveness (Gospel) today…

“In the mercy of Almighty God, Jesus Christ was given to die for you, and for his sake God forgives you all your sins. To those who believe in Jesus Christ he gives the power to become children of God and bestows upon the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?