Daily Bread 2011 - John 10


7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.


What Does This Mean?

Jesus uses the metaphor of the good shepherd to describe himself. A shepherd spent much time with his sheep and had special ways to communicate with the sheep including “whistling” to the sheep. They would learn to respond to whenever the shepherd called by the special tones in this whistle, and likewise recognize an imposter. Importantly, Jesus describes himself as the “good” shepherd.

By good he means that he keeps the sheep’s best interests in mind, and protects the sheep at all costs, even at the risk of his own life. Of course, there are false shepherds who have only self interest in mind. They sneak into the sheep pen and steal and destroy the sheep. Jesus says all that have come before him were like this, possibly referring to the false prophets that came and tried to lead Israel astray from the Lord.
Of course, we all remember some of this imagery which comes from Psalm 23, describing the Lord as my shepherd who leads me besides still waters and green pastures. Jesus has come to embody this good shepherd, who came to give us life, and life abundantly (John 10:10). This is probably one of my favorite verses in the whole bible.

What Does This Mean For Us?
As we look at others who might want to place a claim on our lives, are they good or bad shepherds? Jesus proved he was a good shepherd by laying down his life for us on the cross. While others might promise us “life abundantly”, is this a promise based on the truth or some short term fix.

Are you experiencing “abundant life” today? Are you being led by the Good Shepherd? Do you know recognize His voice? If you are tired of giving in to the thief who comes to steal and destroy, listen to the voice of the Good Shepherd, Jesus, who will lead you beside still waters and make your burden easy and your yoke light.

Heavenly Father we thank you for the Good Shepherd of our souls, Your Son Jesus. Help us to recognize His voice among the other voices that call out to us, so we might experience the abundant life you have called us to. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?