Daily Bread 2011 - John 16

Daily Bread Together 2011 – John 16
Scripture:

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”

What Does This Mean?
As Jesus continues to prepare the disciples for his departure, He speaks of the role of the Holy Spirit once He is gone. In fact, He is even as bold to say, “It is good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate (another word for Holy Spirit) will not come to you. But if I go; I will send him to you.”

Then He gives us three distinct roles of the Spirit. About sin, He will convict the world of its basic sinfulness. About righteousness, how Jesus is the only one who is truly righteous. About judgment, that evil will be reckoned with at some point in the future.

In a positive sense the Spirit will guide us into all truth and speak what He hears and make it known to us through the Father and the Son. So as we see the Holy Spirit will play a key role in everything we are expected to be a do. Importantly these are things we can’t do and shouldn’t even try to do.

What Does This Mean For Us?

Oftentimes we get frustrated and lament the spiritual apathy we see in the world. Our efforts to get people to see the error of their ways often are ineffective at producing any real or lasting change. Today’s passage reminds us that we are powerless to bring about any real spiritual change in the people we love and meet.
But we are given a helper to guide us in all we do and say. This relieves us of a tremendous burden, and frees us up to be used by God to be His agent to help bring about God’s purposes here on earth as they are in heaven.

If you feel frustrated about someone or some situation that seems hopeless, take some time to ask God to let the Holy Spirit change or transform the situation or person to bring about what God wants. Take time to pray, breathe, and allow God to calm your anxiety and be reminded that Jesus’ yoke is easy and His burden is light. Often if we are carrying burdens it is because we are taking too much responsibility for what only God can do/bring about through His Spirit.

Come Holy Spirit, fill our hearts and kindle in us the fire of Your love. Help us to let go of people and situations that are out of our control and allow You to bring about the changes that God the Father desires. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?