Daily Bread 2011 – John 6

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

What Does This Mean?

This declaration by Jesus comes after the feeding of the 5,000 with five small barley loaves and two fish. Again, Jesus is trying to teach them the true nature of the sign (miracle). As Jesus tries to connect them to the sign and his fulfillment of it as the Bread of Life come down from heaven, they are not getting it.

Jesus is trying to get them to see that yes, the feeding of the 5,000 is great, but the significance of it is that he is the bread of life. Rather than having them be fascinated with the miracle he wants them to be fascinated it what the miracle shows. It shows that as we come to believe in Jesus and feed on him (spiritually speaking) that we will never go hungry again.

This also had significance for the Jewish people, in that as Moses had provided manna in the wilderness to physically feed the Israelites. Now God was feeding them with something that would do more than just fill out their stomachs but lead to eternal life.

What Does This Mean For Us?
If you are like me, I love to eat. And there is nothing more satisfying that a great meal offered when you are really hungry. Each day around 11:30 am I start getting really hungry for lunch. And then around 5:30 pm I start getting really hungry for dinner.

What if I could have the same hunger for God and His Son, Jesus? As we experience more and more God, as the scriptures say “Taste and see that God is good” (Psalm 34:8), we begin to develop an appetite to have more of him.
How is your spiritual appetite lately? What have you been dining on? Remember Jesus is the bread of life and whoever comes to him will never be hungry!

Heavenly Father we thank you for sending Your Son Jesus Christ, the bread of life. Just as you fed the Israelites in the wilderness by Your Divine Had, you had fed us with Your Son. Help us to enjoy the satisfaction of being fed with spiritual food that you have provided us to have on a daily basis. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?