The Sin of Adultery



Reflection:  If there is one sin that has caused untold pain, hardship and destruction to the family, it is adultery.  Today the Proverbs spend a whole chapter warning against going down the road that leads to it.  Though the whole chapter is set in the metaphor of the “adulterous women”, as we know this particular sin is equally hazardous and manifests itself in both sexes.  Can you imagine the amount of pain that would be avoided if we could take God at His word in just this one area? We have said how much wisdom the Proverbs give in practical areas of living, and today is a prime example!

The writer gives us several inspired principles that can help anyone who is married to remain faithful to their spouse who they committed before God, family and friends to honor and be faithful to all the days of their lives.  If you are not married these are great principles to learn if you would choose to be married. Here they are:

1.)    Though this temptation may present itself as enticing as honey, it will go down as gall!  Or better put it is a “path to the grave”.  This could be physical death due to a disease, or relational death in the broken trust and covenant of marriage.  Both are equally bad!
2.)    At the end of the day making this decision to be unfaithful to your spouse will be something you will regret your whole life.  For a moment of pleasure you will spend a lifetime of regret.   That doesn’t seem like a very good deal in the long run does it?
3.)    People think they are getting away with this when they do it in secret, but ultimately God’s sees everything so in that way there are really no secrets. The Proverbs say, “Your ways are in full view of the Lord!”
4.)    Of course those are all the repercussion of this particular sin but what about the benefits of staying faithful to the person you fell in love with and married.  The Proverbs say this,

“May your fountain be blessed,
and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
A loving doe, a graceful deer—
may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be intoxicated with her love.”

Wow isn’t it ironic the antidote to being vulnerable to this temptation, is to have a healthy and satisfying marriage.  And yet we know that a lot of marriages are in trouble.  We know 40 to 50% don’t make it!  Why?  Without being simplistic although I will I believe there are two main reasons: 

1.)    God is not at the center of the marriage.  1 Corinthians in the passage 13:8 tells us “love never fails”.  That is God’s love in Jesus never fails, as we love each other with the same love He has given us.  This is a fail safe way to protect your marriage, love your wife or husband like God loves you in Christ, unconditional.  

2.)    Spend meaningful time together.  This is the biggest challenge today especially to couples who both work and have kids.  And yet the strength of any relationship is time spent together.  We make time for the people we want to be with.  Will you make time this week to be with your wife or husband? Find a way to support your spouse in something they love to do, and I will bet you this will come back to you in wonderful ways and keep a sense of love and support in your marriage. 

If the Proverbs spend a whole chapter on this topic, I pray you will spend some time thinking about these things!  Please feel to add anything that you think has strengthened your marriage and kept your fountain blessed! 

And a final note to those who have fallen in this area.  Though there are the obvious consequences we have spoken of, there is forgiveness in Jesus’ name. Jesus died for all sins.  Like any sin, repentance and a change from this behavior pattern through God’s power is necessary.  Through true repentance and change of life in Jesus' name, the healing can begin in your covenant relationship with your spouse.  God can make all things new through Christ. God used people in the bible who were unfaithful, like King David to do great things, but there were consequences. 

Psalm 62
For the director of music. For Jeduthun. A psalm of David.

1 Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
2 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault me?
    Would all of you throw me down—
    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 Surely they intend to topple me
    from my lofty place;
    they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
    but in their hearts they curse.
5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.
9 Surely the lowborn are but a breath,
    the highborn are but a lie.
If weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
    together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion
    or put vain hope in stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
    do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken,
    two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
12     and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
    according to what they have done.”

Proverbs 5
Warning Against Adultery

5 My son, pay attention to my wisdom,
    turn your ear to my words of insight,
2 that you may maintain discretion
    and your lips may preserve knowledge.
3 For the lips of the adulterous woman drip honey,
    and her speech is smoother than oil;
4 but in the end she is bitter as gall,
    sharp as a double-edged sword.
5 Her feet go down to death;
    her steps lead straight to the grave.
6 She gives no thought to the way of life;
    her paths wander aimlessly, but she does not know it.
7 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
    do not turn aside from what I say.
8 Keep to a path far from her,
    do not go near the door of her house,
9 lest you lose your honor to others
    and your dignity to one who is cruel,
10 lest strangers feast on your wealth
    and your toil enrich the house of another.
11 At the end of your life you will groan,
    when your flesh and body are spent.
12 You will say, “How I hated discipline!
    How my heart spurned correction!
13 I would not obey my teachers
    or turn my ear to my instructors.
14 And I was soon in serious trouble
    in the assembly of God’s people.”
15 Drink water from your own cistern,
    running water from your own well.
16 Should your springs overflow in the streets,
    your streams of water in the public squares?
17 Let them be yours alone,
    never to be shared with strangers.
18 May your fountain be blessed,
    and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 A loving doe, a graceful deer—
    may her breasts satisfy you always,
    may you ever be intoxicated with her love.
20 Why, my son, be intoxicated with another man’s wife?
    Why embrace the bosom of a wayward woman?
21 For your ways are in full view of the Lord,
    and he examines all your paths.
22 The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them;
    the cords of their sins hold them fast.
23 For lack of discipline they will die,
    led astray by their own great folly.

1 Corinthians 13:8-14:5
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Intelligibility in Worship

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[b] but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

O land, land, land, hear the word of the Lord! Jeremiah 22:29

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Colossians 3:16

Your word, O God, which never shall cease, proclaims freedom, pardon, grace, and peace. For this we thank you night and day. Dear Father, hear us when we pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?