Whatever!



Reflection: Usually the term “whatever” is used by a sullen teenager as they walk out of the room after being scolded by their parents about something. Of course they are innocent right?  But in today’s text Paul uses the term in quite a different way.  In summation to his teaching the Corinthians regarding the balance between the freedom we have in Christ, and also being aware of not using our freedom to cause another believer to stumble he concludes:

“31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.”

Paul moves away from legalistic bargaining about what a Christian can and can’t do, and moves into motivation and desire, “whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God!”  So when discerning a course of action when one’s way is not so clear would be marked by the question, “Is this going to give glory to God and build up other believers?”  If not, it is hard to make a case the action is worth doing.  So within our freedom as believers, our motivation is not to do good things or avoid bad things to earn God’s love, but in response to God’s love.  The Christian’s heart cry is to give God glory, which basically means to honor, respect and cause others to want to see Him. 

So, in a given situation, one might step outside of themselves and try to see the situation from someone else looking in and ask the question, “Is what I’m about to do going to bring honor or dishonor to God?”  And secondly, is this action going to help others draw closer to God, or repel them away?  Since this is not so “black and white, Paul gives the Corinthians another way to help them he says, “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ!” 

Paul is following Jesus’ example and then inviting others to follow him as he follows Christ.  And this is the norm for Christian formation then even as it is still relevant for today.  The idea is learning to follow someone who is a little further down the path of being Christ-like than you are?   Someone has said we all should sheep from the front, and shepherds from behind.  Meaning all of us need to be following someone who is following Christ, and then as we grow, begin to lead others who follow us.  But what so often happens in the church today is all of the discipleship rests on the pastor.  Everybody is following the pastor, but who is he or she following?  Jesus, of course, but do you see how that model breaks down, when our main goal as the Church is to fulfill the Great Commission and make disciples who makes disciples.

If we follow the model that the early church used, Jesus discipled the 12, who then discipled the 72, and the 120 etc… This is how the early church grew until at some point in our history the church became more institutionalized, and discipleship just became for the really serious Christians versus every baptized follower of Christ.  At our church we are trying to change the culture by creating a few disciples who are starting to disciple others.  It is a slow process but by God’s grace we hope to get back to Jesus’ plan for the Church with His help!    What do you think about all of this?

Hopefully when we use the term “whatever” it can mean a life marked a desire to give God glory in all we do and especially in how we use our influence to draw other’s to His example through ours! 

Psalm 57:7-11
7 My heart, O God, is steadfast,
    my heart is steadfast;
    I will sing and make music.
8 Awake, my soul!
    Awake, harp and lyre!
    I will awaken the dawn.
9 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing of you among the peoples.
10 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
    let your glory be over all the earth.

Job 40
40 The Lord said to Job:

2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
    Let him who accuses God answer him!”

3 Then Job answered the Lord:

4 “I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?
    I put my hand over my mouth.
5 I spoke once, but I have no answer—
    twice, but I will say no more.”

6 Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm:

7 “Brace yourself like a man;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me.

8 “Would you discredit my justice?
    Would you condemn me to justify yourself?
9 Do you have an arm like God’s,
    and can your voice thunder like his?
10 Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor,
    and clothe yourself in honor and majesty.
11 Unleash the fury of your wrath,
    look at all who are proud and bring them low,
12 look at all who are proud and humble them,
    crush the wicked where they stand.
13 Bury them all in the dust together;
    shroud their faces in the grave.
14 Then I myself will admit to you
    that your own right hand can save you.

15 “Look at Behemoth,
    which I made along with you
    and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
    what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
    the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
    its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
    yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
    and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
    hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
    the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
    it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
    or trap it and pierce its nose?

1 Corinthians 10:23-11:2
The Believer’s Freedom

23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. 24 No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. 25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26 for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.” 27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience. 29 I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

11 1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

On Covering the Head in Worship

2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you.

He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see? Psalm 94:9

An argument arose among the disciples as to which one of them was the greatest. But Jesus, aware of their inner thoughts, took a little child and put it by his side, and said to them, “Whoever welcomes this child in my name welcomes me.” Luke 9:46-48

Omnipotent God, your son taught us to call you Abba, Father. We are awestruck that, despite your unthinkable power, you love each of us with a parent’s gentleness. We must welcome others to your loving family! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?