What Can You Pray When You Stressed Out!

Psalm 3
A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.

1 Lord, how many are my foes!
    How many rise up against me!
2 Many are saying of me,
    “God will not deliver him.”
3 But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
4 I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain.
5 I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.
7 Arise, Lord!
    Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
    break the teeth of the wicked.
8 From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.

There is nothing worse when you are going through a hard time than when you feel like God has deserted you.  This situation is even made worse when others question God's power to help you.  This was the situation King David, was in when things turned on him, and his son Absalom and his men were out to kill him.  

If you don't remember, Absalom was David's third son.  When his step brother Ammon raped his sister Tamar, in his anger he had Ammon killed by his servant at his own party.   In fear of his father David, Absalom fled for three years.  David longed to see his  son but they never reconciled.  Even when Absalom came home the relationship was strained. Eventually Absalom overthrew his dad with men who had become sympathetic to him.  This is the context that sets up Psalm 3.  Absalom and his men are chasing David. 

What is most telling is that David's ultimate trust in God. You can hear his confidence that God is his defender and shield.  He is still sleeping still even though he is being pinched from every side.  I love how David says, "Arise, Lord!"  His relationship is so strong with the Lord, that he feels confident is speaking to him like this! 

Maybe you are not literally being chased down by enemies.  Maybe there is a sense that you need to  realize that God is your shield, and when you call on him he will answer you from his holy mountain.  One thing you can be sure of, as God's has delivered His people time and time again, he will deliver you in whatever you are facing. 

So if you are facing something today I encourage you to cry out, "Arise, Lord!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?